Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in pre install environmentcheck

Sys2
Level 3

Hello,

Long story short:

After having trouble performing a descent backup to tape for a while now, i was glad to see BE 2012 coming my way (Note: Backup to harddisc is running ok). However, when I run the pre install environmentcheck, i get this error:

"Tape Device Information

Warning

One or more devices on this computer are either not connected or not working."

The device used is a HP StorageWorks MSL2024

Looking in my administration console, I see the tapelibrary installed. It has a little Icon to it "1", meaning "Write once, read many". I don't know if it's configured correctly. I'm new to this environment.

My question now is: Must I resolve this issue before upgrading to BE 2012, or can the upgrade on itself be a solution to this problem? Any suggestion on how to resolve this issue? I already performed a driver update, not yet a firmware update.

Kind Regards,

Sys@dmin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The problem persists..

With pre-install check or any other problems?

You can check the tape device functionality using HP LT tools.

You might want to read this: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/facing-any-issues-your-tape-device-try 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see the device in Windows Devcie Manager? 

Do you see any error message in the Windows Event Viewer?

"1" appears on most of the drives, it indicates WORM.

I would suggest you to proceed with the installation. If in case any issues arise than those can be

addressed post installation too.

Note: Prior to the installation make sure the hardware appears in the hardware compatibility list

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

"Tape Device Information

Warning

One or more devices on this computer are either not connected or not working."

You can proceed with the upgrade.

Incase of any issued with tape hardware connected to the server, BE environment check will throw the above error (Even for a fresh installation). 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...and don't forget to manually grab a copy of your Data/Catalogs folders before starting the upgrade process...

Sys2
Level 3

I see the device in the devicemanager, some possibly but no clearly linked events in eventviewer.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll grab that copy of the Data and the Catalogs folder and get on with the upgrade, hopefully with a stable backup to tape as a result.

Regards,

Sys@dmin

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Post upgrade run live update to install latest patches.

Make sure Medium changer is configured with Microsoft drivers and the tape drive has Symantec drivers.

Sys2
Level 3

In device manager the drivers show up with driver provider Hewlett Packard for the medium changer as well as for the tape drive. You mean this is not ok, or am i looking at the wrong place ? Could you possibly point me to the drivers I should use according to you and could someone confirm I have the wrong drivers installed ?

Regards,

Sys@dmin

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Confirmation: For BE to manage tape devices properly, robot must use Windows driver and Tape drives must use Symantec drivers.

Uninstall medium changer driver (HP driver). Once uninstalled, medium changer will show up in Other devices. Try to install the driver for medium changer now. Choose to install automatically. Once done, robot will be listed as Unknown Medium Changer.

COming to tape drives, you have to install symantec drivers. You can do so by using Configure Storage option (BE 2012) / Device configuration wizard (earlier versions) from Administration Console.

Sys2
Level 3

Decided to put a hold on the upgrade and try to solve the issue first. Getting the symantec drivers to run the tape drive was a breeze, thanks to your device configuration wizard hint. Getting the medium changer to use windows drivers appears not as easy. No matter how often I uninstall the device in device manager and reboot the server, it keeps coming back as a fully recognized HP Library. Looks like I have to remove some drivers manually, so now i'm in the proces of finding out what exact files to remove. I already googled and searched the HP site, but did not yet find the exact name (and location) of the files I have to remove. Any hints are welcome again, off course.

Gr.

Sys@dmin

Sys2
Level 3

The problem persists, even after succeeding in changing the drivers as proposed. I'll start a thread at the HP forum to find out if I might have a hardware issue. In the meantime i'm open to suggestions.

Regards,

Sysadmin

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The problem persists..

With pre-install check or any other problems?

You can check the tape device functionality using HP LT tools.

You might want to read this: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/facing-any-issues-your-tape-device-try 

Sys2
Level 3

Both. (Pre-install check and other problems). I'll give the HP LT tools a try. The link you provided describes my problem rather accurately by the way. I suffer from 2 symptoms you mention there. 3) Media requested by BE may not be inserted properly into the drive ==> might be, i'm not sure.

Besides the many cleanings and never using tapes to their potential I see only 21 slots; I would expect 24 slots (23 usable for 1 is the mailslot). Whenever I insert a tape through the mailslot, or put back the left or right library it runs some "Recovery..." (as the msl2024 display states), which seems to take ages (10 to 15 minutes for real). Also the "attention" led burns very frequently. Taking out all tapes solves this. This by the way happens as well with only brand new tapes inserted.

Regards,

Sys@dmin

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If your tape drive is still under warranty, you should insist on a replacement even if the LT&T utility shows no problem.  When the drive keeps asking to be cleaned despite being just cleansed, it is a sign of a faulty tape drive.

Sys2
Level 3

HP Library and Tape Tools states:

"The device scan failed to find all the library drives for at least one library". Which confirms me missing 2 drives.

Sys2
Level 3

No more warranty. :(

Thanks for the reply.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

"The device scan failed to find all the library drives for at least one library"

Seems like a connectivity issue.

Can you see the drive from library front panel? If so, what is the status?

Are the drives detected properly by Windows Device Manager?

Also, if you have any backup software installed and controlling library, stop those services and try again.

Sys2
Level 3

The status on the front panel says Drive1 Ready.

In device manager under Tape drives I see the HP LTO Ultrium-4 drive. It has the symantec drivers installed.

The Removable Storage service was set to Automatic. I set it to manual and stopped it.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...totally off-topic here, but just a bit of intel ...HP have become real sticklers on replacing suspected broken kit.

I am a StorageWorks MASE and have had to basically pull rank on 2 occasions with the guy on the other end of the call who wouldn't replace a broken piece of kit.

I knew in 1 instance the drive was on its way out (HP LTT stated that, but knew long before running it that BE had issues with it already!). Long story short, I had to send a myriad of logs to the guy (who then also requested a screenshot!!!) who then replaced the drive. Just be careful with that...they will go out of their way to ensure that replacement is not their first option!

*back on topic*

Sys2
Level 3

The info that really helped was in the link: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/facing-any-issues-your-tape-device-try

Suffered symptoms pointed towards hardware failure of the tapedrive itself. Yesterday it has been replaced and as we speek a full backup to tape is about to finish. No cheers yet, but looking very promising. So the real problem (not being able to run a descent backup to tape) seems to be solved. I didn't yet re-run the pre-install environment check. But at this point I assume that will be allright.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Sys@dmin