cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message when viewing System State during job creation/edit

J_Reis
Level 3
Good day to everyone.

While trying to create a back up job on a server with the Backup Exec remote agent installed, an error is displayed while drilling down through the tree.

"An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of System State.  A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata." 

This happens only on one particular server and no others matching similar specifications and only while attempting to browse the system state folder.  If any one might have some ideas how to resolve this problem or a good direction to begin troubleshooting, I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,
Justin

Backup Exec v. 11.0, rev. 6235
Running on a Windows Server 2003 Standard, sp1
Accessing a Windows Server 2003 Standard, sp1
3 REPLIES 3

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Justin,

I would be interested in the "vssadmin list writers" outcome on the server that is having the issue. You can run this from a command prompt.

This will tell you if you have any errors with your vss writers.

Patty

J_Reis
Level 3
You were correct.  Running the "vssadmin list writers" showed that vss had become disabled at some point.  After scrolling through some of the information in the application log, it appears BEREMOTE.EXE was also having problems because vss wasn't currently enabled.  I went through and started VSS in the services menu and verified the other dependent services such as COM+ and SENS were also running.  After the service was enabled, the Backup Exec browser was able to view the System State folder with no errors.

Thank you very much for your help.
Justin Reis

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Your welcome Justin.
I am happy that you were able to resolve the issue.
Enjoy your day.
Patty