cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "V-79-40960-38468" - Hyper-V Backup does not work!

PauloC
Level 2

Hi All,

I need a help to backup my Hyper-V environment.

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R2 and two of my Virtual Machines (most important ones) are not being backed up due to the following error:

V-79-40960-38468 - Virtual machine "VM NAME" has been excluded from the backup as the virtual machine uses one or more physical disks.  Use the Backup Exec Remote Agent on the virtual machine for backup and restore operations.

Any idea how can I backup those Virtual Machines? It is a huge failure if Backup Exec cannot backup a Virtual Machine just because it is connected to a physical disk, once most of the Virtual environments must have a physical disk connected to the VM.

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer the below TN..

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87330 it refers to BE 12 & 12.5.

But with BE 2010 R2 also pass through is not supported if

Physical(Pass Through) DAS or SAN on the Host directly attached to the Guest,
Physical (Pass Through) RDAS on the Host directly attached to Guest,
Guest Disk attached via SAN(iSCSI initiator).

BE 2010 SCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682

PauloC
Level 2

Hi Kiran,

Thank you for your reply.

I saw this article and I could not understand it. How am I suppose to backup my File Server VHD if it is connected to my SAN? Or how am I suppose to backup my Exchange Server VHD if I also have it connected to my SAN where I leave the Exchange DBs? I cannot backup any VHD connected to a SAN or Phisical Disks?

If this is what the article means, the backup exec VM agent is useless! I would seariously recommend run from Backup Exec when using a Virtual enviroment.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup of VMware ESX virtual machine fails with above mentioned error if the Virtual Machine being backed up has one or more RDM (RAW Device Mapping) disks in physical compatibility mode connected. RDM in physical mode is not supported by Backup Exec through Vmware agent. Although you can use RAWS installed on he virtual machine to perform a regular remote backup.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

ollyparkhouse
Level 3

I am in a similar boat. Our file server and exhcange server and SQL server all have pass-through disks. So i am starting to wonder if there was any reason i was advised to buy they Hyper-V agent, when in fact i cant back anything up using it.