cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service after Update

Christopher_Wig
Not applicable
Hi After updating Backup Exec to 9.1 from v9.0 4454 I get the following error:

Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CBSRV01.
The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

Starting Backup Exec Server on CBSRV01.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on CBSRV01.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on CBSRV01.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on CBSRV01.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Event ID: 7003
Description: The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service depends on the following nonexistent service: MSSQL$BKUPEXEC

How do I correct this? It appears that I do not have the sql backupexec. Help please.
5 REPLIES 5

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Was the ugrade successful?

Have you installed Backup Exec on existing SQL Instance or created separate MSDE instance?

Also refer this technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273485.htm

Additional Information :

For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Pamela_Brenza
Not applicable
I just began receiving the same exact error yesterday and now can't get into my Veritas. We had a young man who was moving a Pharos Print Server Application to another drive and had difficulties/interruptions and had to troubleshoot further. I cannot get into Veritas at all at this point. Any help on how you remedied (or have you?) your issue would be appreciated. My syslog errors reads exactly the same as yours:

The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service depends on the following nonexistent service: MSSQL$BKUPEXEC

this occurs whenever I try to access Veritas. Again, any help would be appreciated!

Pamela J. Brenza
Network Manager
UCLA/Washington Center

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Does the problem with error 7003 persists? If yes, do update on the questions in the previous reply. Had you installed backup exec through Terminal services?

Try a local install of MSDE instance and then run the installation of Backup exec. Refer to the folloxing technote:

Title: How to install the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine instance to a different hard drive or partition
http://support.veritas.com/docs/263147

If the issue persists, write back to the forum with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Michael_Bush
Not applicable
I just did the update from 9.0 to 9.1 and getting the same errors. We have MS SQLServer 2000 on the server also. I have tried to install MSDE but fails. It looks like Veritas installed a database in SQLServer 2000.

Where do I go from here?

Michael Bush

matthew_jaffe
Not applicable
I am also having this problem after upgrading from 9.0 to 9.1 using the following file:
Q118478.BEWS.91.4691.1_264658.zip

I have a Win2003 server. I noticed that the install threw one error from what looked like tapeinst saying a certain memory location could not be "read". I clicked OK and the installer continued. When the install was complete, the overview screen said the upgrade WAS successful.

I tried to upgrade the drivers manually before I restarted the server using the following file:
BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_273853.exe
It gave me the same error saying something could not be read.

I rebooted the server and Backup Exec services failed to start with the same errors others have seen (... nonexistent service ...). I checked and the service is not listed in the Windows services applet. I know that there was such a service prior to the upgrade. I ran the driver install application again and did not receive any errors.

In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, I cannot connect to the BKUPEXEC server instance. It says "Connection Failed, check SQL Server Registration Properties". I believe BKUPEXEC has its own separate instance but am not sure about the terminology. In Enterprise Manager, I see MS SQL Servers -> SQL Server Group. Under SQL Server Group are two items, (LOCAL) and AROD/BKUPEXEC. Arod is the hostname of the local server.