cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when backing up backup exec server

Kevin_DiBricida
Level 2
An error genterates when backing up server Backup Exec is running on.

Backup- HQ-APP-2V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine HQ-APP-2.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
Remote Agent not detected on \\HQ-APP-2.

Remote agent is installed. Why does this generate when the server it refers to is local to the Backup Exec software?
6 REPLIES 6

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
The way Backup Exec works it still needs the remote agent software installed in order to run a local backup job even though it isn't remote. Not sure why but I'd guess it just makes things easier by using the same method to backup local and remote servers.

Have you confirmed that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers service is running?

Vince_Long
Level 2
Can someone from Symantec please confirm this? I have the same problem but it seems odd that you need to install remote agent on the host computer.

Kevin_DiBricida
Level 2
Yes it is installed on the machine and it does get backed up. But I get this error.

Kevin_DiBricida
Level 2
Is there anyone from symantec that can answer this?

Vince_Long
Level 2
Further to this, I have just discovered that you cannot install the remote agent to the host server - the box for this option is greyed out! Any other ideas?!

Vance_Renninger
Level 3
I too was getting this error message. It appears to be related to selecting (within a backup job) the following Backup Exec entities on the media server:

"Microsoft SQL Server "BKUPEXEC"
"Microsoft SQL Server "MS_ADMT"

I was told these entities represent the job catologs that are maintened by Backup Exec. And because these objects are automatically backed up internally at 4:00AM every morning into a flat file underneath the "c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\catalogs" directory, that these two entities do not need to be selected in your backup job selection list.

Since the "\backup exec\catalogs" directory is part of the C: drive, the catalogs will be backed up (to tape or B2F) when the backup job naturally progresses the folders of the "C" drive (assuming the C: drive is selected for backup).

Once I deselected these two entities, the error messages went away.

However, this does not explain why the system bombs on these objects, even in cases where one has also purchased Backup Exec SQL Agent.