cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when restoring mailbox: Cannot log on to MAPI with specified credentials

intecon
Level 3

Hi

I am trying to restore a mailbox on my sbs2008 server and the job fails with the error: Cannot log on to MAPI with specified credentials.

I am using Backup exec version 12.5. and the backup job runs fine with no errors.

I am using the administrator account for the login account credentials and tried creating a new account, gave it domain admin and local admin rights added exchange admin server role and logged in and made sure it could send email etc; using this new account when testing the login got the error: logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

I have the latest MAPI CDO client installed.

Any help would be much appreciated as I spent a day trying to resolve this to no avail

Thanks in advance

Robin

4 REPLIES 4

tech29
Level 6
Please reconfirm the following things:
1> the first five character of the account should be unique, example : if you have administrator and you are trying to use admin then it is not unique.
2> should have active mailbox
3> domain admin
4> unhidden from gal
5> should have full delegation.
Also make sure in the BE console click on Network - logon account and you should have the system logon account and you should have the correct credentials for the same.
I hope you are just checking the individual mailbox that you want to restore.

You may also refer to the following document:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268749.htm

Regards,
Tech29

intecon
Level 3
Hi

1. Yes I tried with 2 other accounts other than administrator both were unique
2.Yes I sent some emails before hand to make sure the accounts had active mailbox
3. I added the accounts to domain admins and administrators groups
4. Both accounts definitely appear in the global address list.
5. I think this is the case, is there a recommended way of doing this? I made the account exchange organization admin and also added full access rights to the mailbox.

I had not made the login account system login but I tried this and it didnt help, I'm still getting the login failure error, I did add the log in as a service policy but I had to do it on the default domain policy as the option to add users on the local policy was greyed out. Should this be ok?

I'm actually only checking the users inbox only in the selection list and not the whole mailbox as that is the only part missing. I take it the restore definitely has to be done by a user other than administrator? Would it help to create a recovery storage group as I am trying to restore directly to the exchange database?

Thanks again

Robin

filmo
Level 3

Hi Robin

Did you manage to get anywhere with your restore? I'm currently having the same issue. The Backup Exec user has the Exchange Server Administrator role across all our mailbox servers and has previously done GRT restores of individual emails to mailboxes but for some reason it just doesn't like using RSG.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

filmo
Level 3
An update to this issue;

We've got two CCR clusters backed up using the same credentials. On the cluster A I can quite happily do a restore to the RSG but on cluster B I'm getting the above error. We're using a different server to back up each cluster, but both have been configured the same way (or so I believe). There must be something which is different between either the two clusters or the two backup servers. I just can't see what that is!

Mike