cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors after DST

mlm01
Level 4

Hello,

I found our backups did not run after daylight savings time with the following error in the logs:

e000e020 - The job was scheduled to run, but the availability window closed before the job could start. There may not have been any destination devices available during the window, or the job may have been submitted to run when the window was closed.

Even after I change the time window to be back an hour and set the start no later than time to allow 2 hours in the tme window, I still get failures on the test run.  The log on the test run failure is very vague:

e0008703 - The test run has detected a potential problem. See the job log for details.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34563

I have looked at the link but it doesn't give any information that I can use.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this may still be failing even after the time window is changed?  The time on the server is correct and the backup device is accessable and has the correct time.

Thanks for any help or further direction,

Maureen

11 REPLIES 11

mlm01
Level 4

I also found that the backups are running without error on our other server even though the tme window says

start no earlier than 11pm

and no later than 10:59 pm

But I am afraid to change it because the backups are running.

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

which version of BE are you running?

Are your BE full updated?

A few years ago I had a problem with BE and dst, and was resolved with a patch.

The jbs had an indication of success, but did not run.

Try to update your system

Regards,

JoaoMatos

mlm01
Level 4

Thank you.

We are running backup exec 2010.

I have just run live update which installed service pack 1 after 2 failures and I will try the test run again.

mlm01
Level 4

I ran live update and applied all the fixes that were out there.
Stopped the services and restarted them.

Still get the same results.

Should I be running BEutility.exe on the database? 

mlm01
Level 4

I did a right click on one of the jobs and did a run now and the job ran.  After that the test run ran as well as the regularly scheduled backup.

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

Backups are running well?

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

hi,

if the problem is solved, close it or give it as solved

JoaoMatos

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just for info this is a known issue that affects  all recent versions of Backup Exec (at least 10.x forwards) and it was never fully fixed by any patches.

Symantec are aware of it and it will be resolved in a (future) version where we intend to re-write the complete scheduler program code. Any versions of BE based on the current scheduler code will unfortunately continue to experience problems with DST.

The issue itself should ONLY affect the first run of any particular job after the DST change and even then only if the job did not have a 24 hour long start time window. It should run normally on the next run (or if you do run now)

Note: Bear in mind that the next run of a monthly job might be a few weeks away

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As previously advised - a future version of Backup Exec will have a complete re-write of the scheduler - unfortunately the scheduler code touches on almost every Backup Exec server based process, hence has a huge level of complexity and testing requirements. Which is why we have been unable to issue an update to resolve it against the current scheduler code.

ELF_backup
Level 3

This KB states it was fixed in hotfixes to 11d:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50983

Shouldn't that article be updated or redirected to:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH61668

which shows it's still an issue in Backup Exec 2010?

We have recently upgraded a dozen servers to 2010 and were not expecting this issue to recur on the basis of the earlier KB (and having not seen the later one until this week). I have increased all the Time Windows to 24 hours in anticipation of the end of BST and have set a reminder to restart the BE services as well.