cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors backing up system state

Orin_Eisenhauer
Level 2
I have Backup Exec 10 for SBS on a windows 2003 SBS server. When I try to back up the Shadow Copy Components which includes System State I get the following error:

Shadow Copy Components -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to initialize the snapshot because the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) is not installed on the target computer. You must install this option, restart the computer, and then run the job again.

We do not have AOFO. How do I back up the system state or get around this problem?

Thank you,
Orin
3 REPLIES 3

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
- are you using the AOFO option, even though you have not installed it?
Please check in the Job properties. If you have checked the Option for AOFO in the Job properties, please deselect it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also please confirm that your Backup exec account has the following rights through the group policy:

1. Act as Part of the Operating System

2. Backup Files and Directories

3. Create a Token Object

4. Logon as a service

5. Manage Auditing and Security Log

6. Restore Files and Directories

7. Take ownership of files and other objects.
=============================================
=============================================
Hope this helps you.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Orin_Eisenhauer
Level 2
Hi,
AOFO is deselected. I will check the rights of the backup user but I think they are OK.

Thanks

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Orin,

Make sure that the Service Account has Domain Administrator Rights.

Would you check the status of the Volume Shadow Copy Service ? Try setting it to manual and run the backups.

Also the Exchange Writer is disabled on an SBS by default.

On Windows Small Business Server 2003, the Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Writer is disabled, which will cause snapshot backups for Exchange 2003 to fail.
To successfully perform an Exchange 2003 snapshot backup, review the following :

Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q838183 .

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm