cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every other back up fails with a hardware error

Matthew_Carroll
Level 2
I can not understand why every other back up is failling with hardware issues. I ALSO need to know how this will affect the reset bit archive status on the failied back up, will the next backup catch what did not get backed up on the prior failed backup.

HELP PLEASE!!!!
8 REPLIES 8

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

The Full and incremental backup reset the archive bit of the files that are backed up. Therefore, if backup job fails, archive bit of files which have been backed up will be reset. However, other applications may modify the archive bit of the files.

Also we would like to know the exact hardware errors that you receive?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Matthew_Carroll
Level 2
The hardware error is simply:

"The job failed with the following error: A hardware error occurred."

Matthew_Carroll
Level 2
The exact error is below:

Job ended: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 at 2:14:55 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Refer to the followign technotes that might help resolve the problem:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/280508
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Revert with details if the issue persists.

Christopher_Hol
Level 2
Hi There...

I am experiencing the same (or a very similar) probem. I am interested in finding the root cause. Basically, my daily backup job fails every other running and, to state the obvious, is successful every other running. It fails with the error:

Error category : Backup Media Errors
Error : e00084ec - Error reading/writing data from/to the media.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link
V-79-57344-34028

At first I thought that it was bad media but I don't believe this is the case. The job appears to reach over 99% of it's run before it fails with this error, i.e. the total number of bytes backed up to the failure point is just short of the amount of bytes with successful backups. The strange thing about it, and the reason I don't believe it is bad media, is that the tape on which the backup fails is loaded and used the next day for the successful backup. Happens every time. Fails on LTO00001 on Monday, succeeds on LTO00001 on Tuesday.

Just reading through the links, ginving me some ideas (driver, firmware updates). Going to proceed in parallel, post back my results either way. Please feel free to post any ideas. Let me know if you need more info. Thanx.

Chris
--

WIN2K3 Server Standard
BackUp Exec 10.0 Rev 5484 SP1
ADIC Tape Library
HP LTO Drive

Christopher_Hol
Level 2
Oops, dup post.Message was edited by:
Christopher Hollow

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Check for event ids 7,9,11, 15 in the system event log.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Christopher_Hol
Level 2
Thanx for your response.

There are lots of ID 7 errors in the system log. halfinchVRTS is the source, bad block on device /device/tape0. But it still sounds suspect to me. Every one of my brand new Maxell tapes has a bad block that only shows up every other backup job? Don't know...