Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex 2003 GRT only on Disk-backup, not TAPE

Frank_Vandeberg
Level 2
Same situation at different networks / clients:

Exchange 2003 is being backed up with GRT, 'allow individual...'
When we set this job to backup to tape, then try to restore mailboxes, we can't see the mailboxes, just the stores.
When we edit this same backup job and set destination to a backup-to-disc device, when restoring we can see all the mailboxes and individual items.
Why?

Backupexec 11d build 7170 service pack 2 , liveupdate is up to date.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
According to the Admin Guide page 1230, you should be able to do it, but

Backup Exec must have access to a uniquely named mailbox within the Exchange organization for backup and restore of the Information Store.

See “Exchange mailbox access requirements” on page 1224

But if you ever want to do an individual item restore, you will need to stage the entire IS to a temp location, so that the items can be extracted

Frank_Vandeberg
Level 2
ok I understand, but, it works when we backup to disc so I suppose it has access to such an account ?

When we backup to tape I can't even select just one mailbox, it's the whole store or nothing.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you backup straight to Tape, I think that you need to select the Legacy Mailbox Backup option

Ben (or someone else) correct me if I'm wrong

Frank_Vandeberg
Level 2
Ok , now I finally understand. GRT is something different than the brick level backup from version 10d.
GRT makes fast backups, and when restoring it will copy the whole .edb store to disc and extract your items from it, while the "legacy mailbox backup" uses brick level by copying each mailbox item as a separate item to tape, which is slower to backup.
Thanks