cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceptions on a sql server

prs246191
Level 5

I just created a new backup job on a sql server in BE2012.  I ran a full backup yesterday and it completed successfuly with no exceptions.  My first incremental job ran tonight and I had 3 exceptions.  They were as follows:

Backup- servername.domain.com\SQLSERVERV-79-57344-33960 - A log backup was attempted on database ReportServer$SQLSERVER that is not configured to support log backups. To change the configuration, use the SQL administration tools to set the recovery mode to Full.  A new full backup should be performed if this setting is changed before a log backup is run.

V-79-57344-33960 - A log backup was attempted on database ReportServer$SQLSERVERTempDB that is not configured to support log backups. To change the configuration, use the SQL administration tools to set the recovery mode to Full.  A new full backup should be performed if this setting is changed before a log backup is run.

V-79-57344-33960 - A log backup was attempted on database SAMS2K_TEST that is not configured to support log backups. To change the configuration, use the SQL administration tools to set the recovery mode to Full.  A new full backup should be performed if this setting is changed before a log backup is run.

How do I fix it so I don't get these exceptions, but maintain the integreity of my back up.  Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You have already backed up your SQL databases so you can restore the databases from these backup.  Since the databases with the exceptions are on simple recovery mode, there is no logs to recover so the error messages do not matter.

There is no way to have one incremential job without exceptions? 

Yes.  You need 2 jobs because you have databases with different recovery modes.

If you do not require point-in-time restores, then you can set all the databases to simple recovery mode and you want to do away with log backups, Before you set your databases to simple recovery mode, you should check with the database owners whether simple recovery mode is acceptable.  Some applications must have full recovery mode.

For fuller explanations of SQL recovery modes and point-in-time restores, do search the Web.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The recovery mode for the databases indicated in the error messages are set to simple, i.e. they do not maintain transaction logs.  You should exclude them from your transaction log backups.  You would need to set up two set of jobs to backup your SQL databases.  One set of jobs will include log backups and would backup those databases which have full recovery mode and the other set of jobs will NOT have log backups and would include those databases which have simple recovery mode.

prs246191
Level 5

Pkh, I kinda understand your post, but at the same time I do not....  If system failure happened and I tried to restore the system am I correct that everything would restore but those that were exceptions.  There is no way to have one incremential job without exceptions? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You have already backed up your SQL databases so you can restore the databases from these backup.  Since the databases with the exceptions are on simple recovery mode, there is no logs to recover so the error messages do not matter.

There is no way to have one incremential job without exceptions? 

Yes.  You need 2 jobs because you have databases with different recovery modes.

If you do not require point-in-time restores, then you can set all the databases to simple recovery mode and you want to do away with log backups, Before you set your databases to simple recovery mode, you should check with the database owners whether simple recovery mode is acceptable.  Some applications must have full recovery mode.

For fuller explanations of SQL recovery modes and point-in-time restores, do search the Web.