cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 Information store backup

Stef
Level 2
Hi everybody!

We have Symantec Backup exec 10d 5629 with SP4, windows server 2003 SP2 domain controller and exchange 2003 SP2 install on the same box, the device used for the backup is a Dell PowerVault 122T SDLT320.  The issue we have is the server hang when we backup the Information store, then we have to reboot the server to fixe it, of course the job was failed and no error log in the event id to help us, we selected only the information store in the backup job.  Please Help!!!

By the way, sorry for my english, my first language is french.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Fountain
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi,

I work for an IT support company and we have recently seen this issue on a customers server. After many hours of searching and upgrading firmware etc.. I eventually came across an error in the event log at the exact time the backup failed which related to a controller error. This error only showed up every fourth or fifth backup so we would get three or four perfect backups and the error you describe. We have replaced the controller now and the error seems to have gone away(into week two without failure).

We have also noticed lots of errors - all of a sudden - relating to vsp.sys when using AOFO, which we have cured by splitting the backup job in two and doing one job for all the data and using AOFO and one for exchange and system state not using AOFO. I only mention this because once we fixed the controller error this one raised it's head.

Hope this helps.

Stef
Level 2
Thanks a lot for the information, i also work for a IT support compagny, and the error is also for one of our customer , we already change all the hardware (Power Vault, SCSI card, cable, terminator), because with that customer we have another issue on the same server, the power vault drive go offline randomely since 1 years an half, we open a case at Dell but they can't fixed our problem, so if you have some information, i would realy appreciate.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Stef