cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 and AOFO - use to work perfectly on BE9.0 now :-(

nhbilly
Level 4
Ever since I've upgraded to 11D using AOFO would crap out my  exchange 2003 server. No email flow after a failed backup and a restart of the server mus t be initiated to bring back the server.

The error I get - Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Yes I followed thru the seer's reports but there isn't really a fix for it unless I'm reading thru it too fast.

The backup services has domain admin and exchange memebership.

I'm out of ideas any suggestions guys?

This is a completely new server with only BE11D install using SAS LTO-4

Thanks,
B

15 REPLIES 15

nhbilly
Level 4
so lonely at the bottom

nhbilly
Level 4
Any suggestion welcome, please?

I don't want to call support yet.

BadBob
Level 3
Don't do legacy Exchange Mailbox backups, they crash the Exchange VSS writer.  Instead, just backup the Exchange store and select the option to enable the restore individual messages and folders from the information store.

nhbilly
Level 4
Darn, didn't have to change anything setting already set.

Message Edited by nhbilly on 10-25-2007 08:08 AM

BadBob
Level 3
That worked for us.  We still do legacy Public Folder backups without any problems.  Restoring individual items from the Public Folders store is only possible if you backup to disk when using the non-legacy method.  I read that somewhere in the documentation.

BadBob
Level 3
Be sure to deselect "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" in your selection list.  You also need to reboot your exchange server after the VSS failure.

nhbilly
Level 4
Rebooting exchange sucks when 11d craps it out - I have no choice but to restart since all email stop flowing.

BadBob
Level 3
You shouldn't have to do any more reboots after getting your job set up the way I described.

nhbilly
Level 4
What I meant was when I use AOFO - my exchange craps out and I would have to reboot.
I use to have indidivual restore of mailbox enable and it worked beautifully and not if I have that check back up of exchange craps out too.

So that's out of the question. Right back up works fine as long as AOFO is not enable and individual restore of mailbox is not checked.

Message Edited by nhbilly on 10-25-2007 08:39 AM

BadBob
Level 3
Apply Hotfix 22 to your media server and repush the Agent to your Exchange Server. (Don't do this if your running Exchange 2007, this hotfix is causing problems for that version.)  Also apply the MS hotfix described in KB915331. 

nhbilly
Level 4
thanks checking it out....

do you know  there is an sp2 release for 11D?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290729.htm

Message Edited by nhbilly on 10-25-2007 09:07 AM

nhbilly
Level 4
anyone???

nhbilly
Level 4
ttt

Dan_Mashal
Level 3
Yeah I noticed the Service Pack 2 but when I tried to install it on my server it didnt really do anything.     

nhbilly
Level 4
Thank for the input Dan