cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 Backup Failures

vitalsign0
Level 3

V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-1022 There is a disk IO error. '

I'm getting this error when running a GRT backup job on one of our databases on Sunday. A similiar backup job runs successfully on Sat on a different database. Online maintenance is disabled over the weekend for the Exchange server.

I'm running Backup Exec 2012 SP1a.

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check the TN below...make sure your AV isn't scanning the B2D folder if this is what you are using for your backups:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53031

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Can you please add the following keys on your media server. Key=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile" ValueName="VFF Extended Timeout" Type="REG_DWORD" ValueData=600 Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile" ValueName="Detach Timeout" Type="REG_DWORD" ValueData="10000" Plea restart the service once done on media server and exchange server and then check again. Thanks.

vitalsign0
Level 3

There's no AV running on the server. 

I'm kinda wary of modifying the registry. What would throw the error? 

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi, If you have some douts on modifying registry value on media server ,then you can take backup of registry before and make the changes and then restart backupexec services and see if that helps. Thanks

CraigV

...if this is the TN you're referencing, why are you doing so? It is for Exchange 2010 in a DAG...NOT Exchange 2007!

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186423

Also, the OP is using BE 2012...not BE 2010.

OP: Consider making this change VERY carefully!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Craig, There are few different link ,which mention above keys and yes you have rightly said for all of them it is for BE2010, but then I have seen this key very helpful in kind of error OP is receiving ,moreover I have tried this key on few setup were BE2012 is involved too and have worked fine. I have suggested him to take backup of registry before making any changes. Thanks.

CraigV

...from a Google search, they reference the same link, and if you are going to copy from a Symantec doc, better put that in as your point of reference.

vitalsign0
Level 3

That TN also states that it's for Incrementals that are failing and doing Full backups is the workaround. I'm doing Full backups and they are failing. I don't think this is the solution. 

CraigV

...have you tried to backup to to tape if available? Or disk if you're backing up to tape already?