cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 issue - 0x8000FFFF - Catastrophic Failure

Zach_2
Level 4

So here is my setup:

Exchange 2007 on Server 2008 x64 - Server is mailbox role.

BackupExec 12.5 SP1 on Server 2008 x64.

When Backup up Exchange, now I get the following:

Job ended: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 3:19:30 PMCompleted status: FailedFinal error: 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failureFinal error category: Other ErrorsFor additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-32768-65535

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- "SERVER"
- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:... - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...V-79-10000-11253 - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error:...

If I reboot the Exchange server, all is well.  I do not see this as being an issue with the VSS since a reboot resolves the problem.  I have found articles out there for modifying registry and performing a 'regsvr32.exe' on a few DLL's then reboot the server.  All I need to do is reboot the exchange server and everything is fine.  I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the problem.  I have a hunch that the following may be the cause, just looking for some insight.

I am currently migrating our Exchagne environment from a decentralized Exchange 2003 environment to a centralized Exchange 2007 Environment.  I think this issue is caused by a backup and the migration happening simultaneously.  Does anyone know of this issue occurring while migrating users from various Exchange 2003 servers throughout the enterprise to this Exchange 2007 server?  Does performing a backup while migrating users' mailboxes cause this issue?  Is there a fix?  As you can see i'm running the latest BUE 12.5 SP1 (client on exchange server is updated as well)  I have not seen a KB article for an update to the VSS or anything similar for Server 2008 x64 from Microsoft.  By the way, that is x64 Standard for the Server OS on both servers.

PS - i know the error mentions AOFO - but i do not use AOFO for Exchange backups.  This license is not entered on the BE server, nor enabled in the backup job.

Thanks for any insight.

Zach

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zach_2
Level 4
So, to resolve this issue, you must restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. The server itself does not need to be restarted. Perhaps moving a mailbox from the exchange 03 machine to the exchange 07 machine leaves the Ex07 DB in a state to which it cannot be backed up. Restarting the exchange store service on the 07 machine will allow the VSS service to start normally and the backup will be successful...atleast until the next time I continue with the migration from my remaining exchange 03 servers to the 07 server.

I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this. If anyone gets bored...feel free to tell them

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Zach_2
Level 4
So, to resolve this issue, you must restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. The server itself does not need to be restarted. Perhaps moving a mailbox from the exchange 03 machine to the exchange 07 machine leaves the Ex07 DB in a state to which it cannot be backed up. Restarting the exchange store service on the 07 machine will allow the VSS service to start normally and the backup will be successful...atleast until the next time I continue with the migration from my remaining exchange 03 servers to the 07 server.

I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this. If anyone gets bored...feel free to tell them