cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 support

Rikus
Level 3
Currently running Exchange 2010 Beta and would like to test backup/restore capabilites.

At the moment 12.5 with the Exchange agent doesn't seem to see Exchange 2010 at all?

Any way around this or plans to have support for the beta?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Old post, but nothing yet. Expect the support with BEWS 2010, and maybe a patch for BEWS 12.5 when Exchange 2010 is finally released.

This sucks...I would have got points if the guy had closed it off properly =P

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
I'd suggest getting hold of Symantec and finding out. A search on Google showed nothing.

WoCom
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Is there still no update available for backup up Exchange 2010?

CraigV
Hi,

Old post, but nothing yet. Expect the support with BEWS 2010, and maybe a patch for BEWS 12.5 when Exchange 2010 is finally released.

This sucks...I would have got points if the guy had closed it off properly =P

RvdPlas
Level 3
Partner
Ok now the exchange 2010 is released, but where is the backup exec support ?
Looks like symantec has something against early users?

CraigV
No mention of it yet in the SCL yet Rikus!

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/307063.pdf

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Symantec has nothing against early users.  Plain and simple early adopters represent something like <1% of the installed base in the first month of it's release.  Of that 1%, how many actually roll it out to production?  Much less.

That said, support is going to probably be in BE2010, and that is coming in Jan.  If a patch is made for BE12.5, lucky you.  But I'm not holding my breath...

Rikus
Level 3
Had forgotten about this post as we seem out of luck regarding 2010 support just yet!

It shouldn't matter what % of early adopters use the software. It's a huge Microsoft product, one that has been in beta / RC form (and publicly available) for months. I would expect Symantec to have similar offerings to allow us 'early adopters' to begin testing and ensure it is ready for production environments (perhaps they do I'm just not aware of anything?).

Personally I tend to roll out such software in production environments once I've run through the product in it's beta / RC forms. Why? Probably a slight amount of insanity (from an IT admin perspective sure :)) but with Microsofts latest offerings (Server 08 R2 / Exchange 2010 / Windows 7) they have upped the bar dramatically. I have these in a number of sites now and the improvements are immediately noticeable. Most items we have segmented in virtual environments so hardware and software compatibility is never really an issue. This brings the headache of now not being able to backup (at least with our software of choice) an incredibly solid / promising platform....all because I'm apparently an 'early adopter'.

CraigV
=) I will have the same issue come Exchange 2010 and Server 2008 R2 next year if I don't get upgrade licenses to BEWS 2010.
Not to defend Symantec as I don't know their internal processes, but you might find that 12.5 will have Exchange 2010 support (well, hopefully). I think that the number of users taking on BEWS 2010 as an immediate installation/upgrade will be far less than the current installed base for BEWS 12.5.
We've got a number of technology upgrades coming in the new year, but my area of responsibility would be the thing holding us back...not a good place to be in.
I am hoping 2010 will see the necessary patches rolled out for BEWS 12.5, if I am unable to upgrade =/

nilis312
Not applicable
I heard that Backup exec 2010 comes out in februari of 2010. For now the only supported program is Backup exec system 2010. Not really a nice program for our needs but is is the only way to backup your exchange with Symantec at the moment.

I hope they bring the backup exec 2010 earlier in 2010!