cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup fails due to virus emails

Wes_Powell
Level 3
We have been running BE 10 for the past few months without any problems. Just last week our job started failing with Access denied errors. The errors relate to backing up messages within individual mailboxes that appear to be virus e-mails. Has anyone seen this issue before and if so, how to i tell Veritas Backup to not search for those messages? Below are some logs with detailed errors:

Job ended: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 at 8:22:11 AMCompleted status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Backup- \\EXCH03\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Re: Your text.Unread MailFinderAccess denied to file User
Your Password.InboxTop of Information StoreAccess denied to file User
You_visit_illegal_websites.Unread MailFinderAccess denied to file User
Mail delivery failed.Unread MailFinderAccess denied to file User
You visit illegal websites.Unread MailFinderAccess denied to file User
hi, ive a new mail address.Unread MailFinderAccess denied to file User
Paris HiltonUnread MailFinderAccess denied to file User
&
Nicole Richie.
Registration_Confirmation.Unread MailFinderAccess denied to file User
Paris HiltonInboxTop of Information StoreAccess denied to file User
&
Nicole Richie.
Registration Confirmation.InboxTop of Information StoreAccess denied to file User
Registration Confirmation.InboxTop of Information StoreAccess denied to file User
12 REPLIES 12

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266178

However you can exclude a particular folder from mailboxes backup.

Please refer the following technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/248314

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Wes_Powell
Level 3
I have tried both of these solutions and neither has worked. The backup worked fine for months without any problem, so I know it is not an issue with the service account having the proper permissions.

I also tried to uncheck the Deleted Items folder and the Spam folder from each individual mailbox, and we are still having the same issue. The messages that Veritas cannot backup are in the Inbox of each user.

I need resolution to this ASAP as our backups have been failing for the past week. Please advise.

Sincerely,

Wes

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please stop any antivirus or third party software scans on the mailboxes during the backup.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Wes_Powell
Level 3
The backup did work after I stopped the Symantec Mail Security application, but that does me not good because I do not want to have to stop this service every day before a backup. This is not a solution to my problem. Our backu worked for months with the Symantec Mail Security service running. Please advise on any workarounds.

Sincerely,

Wes Powell

Peter_Thunell
Not applicable
I am also having the same problem and am running Symantec Mail Security for Exchange. This problem just started one day with no changes made to the Exchange/Veritas server. I have updated BE 10.0 to service pack 3. My next step is this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301460

which apparently helped someone with this problem.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

You can upgrade to Backup Exec v10d and check the results.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Wes_Powell
Level 3
I actually have run that tool twice with no success. I hope it works for you. Thanks for the tip.

Wes_Powell
Level 3
Upgrade to a newer version to solve my problem???? Will this cost me money, or is this a free update??

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
It sounds like you have Symantec Mail Security application setup to pass the SPAM/Virus infected email to your user's mailbox rather than quarantining or deleting them altogether. Although this does not answer your question, you will be ahead of the game if you can deny delivery of these bad emails.

Wes_Powell
Level 3
This sounds like it may be of some help. Where would I find these settings in Symantec Mail Security? Thanks for the tip.

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
Wes,

I'm sorry but I do not use Symantec Mail Security product, so I cannot give you specific answers about its options. However, you should be able to review the email settings inside the program and consult the online help. There is likely another forum on Symantec's site that deals specifically with this product.

HTH

Bryan_Erickson
Not applicable
Hi All,

I have a server that is doing the same thing as described above (same email subjects). I'm also running Brightmail Anti-Spam and have noticed messages in the quarantine with the same subjects lines that are in the backup log. I didn't know if anyone else is running Brightmail. I had Brightmail installed before Backup Exec and since installing BE, I have received this error and haven't been able to get a successful backup.

BE