cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange GRT Backup SUPER SUPER SLOW!!!

Britton_B
Not applicable
We are running:

Backup Exec Server: Windows Server 2008 (x64)
Version: Backup Exec 12.5

Exchange Server: Windows Server 2003 (x64)
Version: Exchange 2007 SP1

We have attempted backing up our exchange store in multiple ways, one being the GRT method. In all cases running the GRT method will make the backup operate at crawl speeds (i.e. <100 MB/min). We have double and tripple checked connections on our network all both servers and they both operate on a teamed-NIC 2GB connection. All of our regular backups run at lighting speeds (i.e. >3000 MB/min), including Exchange store backup. However, when we enabled the GRT method, it's slow as molasses. We attempted to do a full backup that took over 36 hours (160 GB Exchange Store). We decided to end it because our other backups weren't getting attention when that was running.

I have seen this issue talked about on the internet, but I haven't yet seen a known solution. Is there anyone out there that has info on this? Please reply with info.
1 REPLY 1

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you backing up exchange to disk or tape ?

If tape - Are you using Symantec tape drivers ?

If disk - What type of RAID configuration ?

Applying this hotfix  might help : http://support.veritas.com/docs/319699

Once this hotfix is applied on backup server push the agent on remote server and try running the job.

Also try backing up to local NTFS partition to isolate any device performance issue.