cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange GRT restore not showing mailboxes or public folders

Eddie_Wilson
Level 4
I have enabled the GRT option for our Exchange 2003 backups. When I attempt to select a Mailbox or Public folder for restoring the only thing there is the Information Store. Why can't i see the Mailboxes and Public folders?
48 REPLIES 48

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
I'm having the same issue with one of my clients.  The client is running Backup Exec 12 with all fixes and Exchange 2003 SP2 and updates.  Backups complete successfully, but when I try to restore an individual mailbox or message, there is nothing to select.

Eddie_Wilson
Level 4
After looking at the Job Log, the GRT option does not appear to be working correctly. It shows that is is only backing up the logs and not the store even though the store is selected.

Mike_Battaglia
Not applicable
I am having the same problem. Cannot see any of the individual mailboxes to restore from.

Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started
The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Eddie,

Backup to disk or tape? 

Full or Dif/Incremental backup?

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
for me, I'm doing a full backup to tape

Eddie_Wilson
Level 4
My problem turned out to be the Global Excludes selection list. I wiped it clean and it started working. I now only have about 6 items in the Exclude. One of the items that was in the Exclude was a filter for *.edb which also happens to be the same extenstion for the Exchange DB.

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
maybe a stupid question... where is the global exclusion list?  I have never set anything to be excluded in the backup job selection list.  thanks for your input.

Eddie_Wilson
Level 4
On the menu, click Edit then Manage Select Lists...
In the Mange Selection Lists dialogue box the list called Excludes is the global exclusion list. Any thing you add to this list will be filtered from all backup jobs.

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
I believe I found it.  There is nothing in my global exlusion list.  Problem still persists.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Cameron,

Do you have enough run to run the backup to disk as a test?  If so, give this a shot and let me know the results.

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
yep.  I did that awhile back.  It works flawlessly.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Can you give me a list of applications installed on the Exchange server?

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
sure.  It's a Windows 2003 SBS Standard edition.  Up to date with Windows Updates and available Backup Exec updates.  It runs Symantec AV Corp 10.1 and the associated console.  There are 2 SQL 2005 instances, one for Backup Exec, the other for a project management application called Projest.  PDF viewer-Foxit Reader and that about does it.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
run through this technote on the server for me.  Enter in all 1's for the Case number and select upload via ftp when prompted.  Let me know when this has been completed.

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
technote?

Manfred_Jost
Level 3
Hello, i make every night two backups from exchange 2003, the first run to a tape, the second run to to my harddisk. The reason is: the public folder cannot restored partiell from a tape. The restore for Data from public folder elements works only from harddisk backup. If you need a public folder element who is not on your harddisk. You have to copy the information from tape to the harddisk. These action take a lot of time. My next step is to think about a container for my Exchange Server. These option give me the possibility to export Data into a *.pst files. And import it back to the production system. I am not shure what the designers think about these handycap. The Backup vers. 10 needs also two backups, but the public folder elements could restored from a tape. Kind regards Manfred

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Cameron - http://support.veritas.com/docs/285911  Sorry about that.

Cameron_Kowaliw
Level 3
done.  sorry for the delay.  case # is all 1's _DC1

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Can you tell me if the account you use for the backups has a mailbox and if that mailbox is hidden from the Global Address List?