cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Incremental Backup

vinayy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi All, Scenario : Backup Exec version : Backup Exec 2012 OS : Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bits. Exchange Version : Exchange 2010 ( Mailbox one server, CAS & HUB one server ) OS : Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bits. We configure Full Exchange GRT Backup on DEDUP folder and schedule it on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Exchange Agent backups 200 gb Data in 32 hrs. Because of vast backup window Customer is irritated. For Exchange less backup window We are going to suggest one full and rest of Incremental on DEDUP Folder. Is this correct resolution. Suggest more on this and also assist on Database restoration part from incremental backup. Thanks , VINAYY
5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Vinayy,

Check the tuning guide below and see if you can wring some extra speed out of your backups:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5481

Thanks!

vinayy
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Anybody have more on this issue.

Thanks,

VINAYY

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it would help if you provided feedback...?

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello CraigV,

Goal I want to achive:

I want to be able to use the VMware Agent to backup a guest Exchange 2010 VM to a dedup folder and then I want to make Incremenatl backups of the VM to that same dedup folder.  This is ideal solution b/c in disaster I want to be able to restore the entire VM or B2V or B2P it to dissimilar hardware.

Media Server Configuration:

I have the VMware Agent installed and can see my ESXi Server in the Backup Exec (BE) 2012 console.  I also have the Windows Remote Agent and the Applications and databases agent installed on the BE Server.  

I was told that I should not make Incremental VM backups from the Exchange 2010 VM Full backup which also resides in the same dedup folder.  This was recommeded not to do, b/c since the VM backup is using applicaiton level GRT it will cause errors when trying to mount the Full database backup to compare against when doing the incremental.

Is it possible to do make Dedup Incremental VM backups of Exchange 2010 Servers?

If I cannot do it to dedup folder that is fine, I'll just send both VM backups (Full and Incr) to a non-dedup folder and achive the same Goal, but I'll loose the ability to dedup.

Please advise,

-Steven

Steven_L_
Level 3

moved to another forum.