cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Verify Inconsistancy

Chris_Smith_2
Level 3
We're receiving an Inconcistancy error sporatically (4 out of the last 10 backups) during the verify on Exchange mailboxes.

Verify of "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes "
Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Full System Backup"
Verify started on 3/25/2005 at 2:32:26 AM.
Difference encountered in file data.
The file Denall Duran \Top of Information Store\Inbox\Clients\Fitzsimmons\FW: hi is different.
The file Mark Burkhard \Top of Information Store\Applied Capital\Experian/Accurint/D&B/Lexis\Applied Capital, Inc. is different.
The file Priscilla Pollock \Top of Information Store\Journal\ is different.

Verify completed on 3/25/2005 at 3:03:13 AM.
Verified 107961 mail message(s) in 669 folder(s) in 13 mailbox(es)
3 files were different.
Processed 4,471,085,173 bytes in 30 minutes and 47 seconds.
Throughput rate: 138.5 MB/min
----------------------------------------------------------------------
An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in SEAGATE 1.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

======================================================================
Job ended: Friday, March 25, 2005 at 3:04:02 AM
Job completion status: Failed
======================================================================

We're using Backup Exec 8.6 Rev 3808 for Small Business 2000.

What should I look for as the cause of this?
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
How often do you clean the drive?
How old are your tapes?

I'd also suggest upgrading to build 3878 http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241035.htm

Chris_Smith_2
Level 3
Tape drive is about 9 months old. Tapes are even newer than that. Drive is cleaned every week. These errors just started to appear in the last couple of weeks. Each of the last 4 failed backups were with different tapes.

Also, all 4 failures were in verifying the exchange mailboxes. And more than just the mailboxes are being backed up. A workstation using the remote agent (approx 1GB), The server's C: drive (2.6GB), the server's D: drive (6.2GB), the exchange information store (4.1GB) and the Exchange Mailboxes (4.4GB).

I'm curious as to why it's always failing at the mailboxes. Each time, it identifies different emails as being different during the verify.

The users are adament that those messages were not left open during the backup.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the media server the Exchange server? or is this a network backup?

Are you current on firmware and drivers for the tape drive and the SCSI card?

Chris_Smith_2
Level 3
Yes, the media server is the Exchange server. We did update the tape drivers, but not the SCSI drivers yet.

Level 2
I'm having the EXACT same problem. Exchange2K, W2K Server. Brand new drive and brand new tapes. But I get two successes for every 10 backups. Fails in an Exchange folder. This is also what it backs up and verifies first.
Ken put this link up earlier http:/support.veritas.com/docs/267554
According to this Veritas doc, this error occurs due to hardware/media issues. It's worth a read. I will attempt to do all Veritas's suggests (probably this weekend) and see what happens.
Any advice?
Joe

Chris_Smith_2
Level 3
We finally found the solution. The server is running Symantec's Mail Security for Exchange. We split the backup into 2 jobs; Full system backup without mailboxes and then append the job with just the mailboxes.

Prior to the mailbox only job running, we stop the Mail Security service. Then restart it afterwards. Have not had a failure since.