cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup questions

Gilbert_Floresc
Level 3
I am backing up Exchange 2003 using the Backup Exec 10d. (I've upgraded to SP2 for Backup Exec). I have a question about backing up the Exchange store.

I have the Exchange agent and everything is on 1 server. (domain controller, Exchange, backup exec).

In the backup options under Selections, I have selected to backup the First Storage Group. I have also selected to backup c:\Program Files\Exchgsrv\mbdata folder. (which contains the priv1.edb file)

1. Am I doing a redundant backup here??

2. Is the priv1.edb file included with the First Storage group backup??

3. I want to test out a restore but I can't figure out how to restore the priv1.edb to an alternate location. The documentation talks about restoring to a Restore Storage Group (RSG). For example, I want to restore priv1.edb to c:\test

(what I'm talking about here is just using the First Storage Group backup)

4. I've created a Restore Storage group but in a disaster recovery situation (i.e the server blows up and I start from scratch) I don't know how I'd be able to add a database to recover if I didn't have the priv1.edb file
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
1. No, those files which would be "redundant" are automatically skipped by Backup Exec since it knows they don't need to be backed up.

2. Sort of. The First Storage group backup includes all of Exchange, while priv1.edb contains the data of a lot of, but not all of Exchange. You can imagine the First Storage group backup more as backing up "Exchange", not just the individual files themselves. You can't restore individual files like priv1.edb.

3 & 4. You need to point your restore at the Restore Storage Group, you can't restore it to a file location, as it's not a file in the normal sence. When you created the RSG I think it would have created the relevant edb etc files at that point, and those files will be populated with data when you do the restore. In a DR situation you'd want to do a complete restore (see the admin guide for detailed info) of your system and Exchange. The RSG is only really relevant for restoring part of an existing working Exchange installation, eg recovering a mailbox, folder or e-mail which has been deleted.

Gilbert_Floresc
Level 3
So in a DR situation, if I'm backing up the First Storage Group, would I be able to restore Exchange??

The admin guide talks about backing up the C drive but what you were saying earlier is that if I'm backing up the c:\program files\exchgsrv\mbdata and also the First Storage group, it sees it as redundant anyway.

I just want to make sure I can perform a recovery by backing up the First Storage Group.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Not sure if all the files within \mbdata\ don't need backing up, but if you include that folder as well as your Information Store you'll be covered. Note I believe you do also need the system state information in order to successfully restore Exchange, plus obviously windows and exchange itself, hense the recommendation in the admin guide to backup the entire c:\.