cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backups failing - Saying database is dismounted

Dominick_Labruz
Level 3
Im getting this error
One or more of the databases for this storage group are currently dismounted. This backup is incomplete. Make sure that all databases are mounted, and then resubmit the backup job.
I know my databases are not dismounted.
Exchange 2007
Server 2003 x64 SP2
Backup Exec 11d
Any suggestions?

Message Edited by Dominick Labruzzi on 10-31-2007 11:35 AM

Message Edited by Dominick Labruzzi on 10-31-2007 11:39 AM
23 REPLIES 23

Jay_Wilson
Level 3
Figures!

Like I said before:

Is there ANYONE at Symantec that can fix this or should we all begin looking for other backup software vendors that can offer functional products and useful support??

PAS__GLFJ_
Not applicable
I have been unable to backup my Exchange 2007 SCC using BE since day one (Windows Backup works).

I have opened two tickets with Symantec on this issue.  The reason I have had two tickets is because they take their sweet time getting back to me and automatically close the ticket after a few days of "inactivity" - not on my part of course.

At the instruction of tech support I have installed BE service packs, hotfixes, redeployed agents, uninstalled them and redeployed again, regressed service packs, manually registered .DLLs, uploaded my configuration via FTP, and sent job logs countless times. 

Finally, about a month ago they just gave up altogether (not that it seemed to be a whole-hearted effort to begin with) and blamed my problems on Exchange.  They claimed (but were unable to prove to me) that Microsoft had a bug in VSS and told me it would be fixed in SP1 for Exchange, and again closed my ticket.

Well, today SP1 shipped and I have installed and tested and BE still doesn't work.  It is unacceptable to me to poke the finger at another vendor when after I have been sold a product that is supposedly designed for that vendors product and for which I am paying support on.  I am sick of being marginalized by tech support so I have decided to gradually abandon BE over the next several months.

Just in case anyone is curious as to how - I have already begun migrating to Microsoft DPM 2007 - which is doing a pretty fantastic job so far.  Little bit of a learning curve on it but I expect that.

Best of luck everyone.

Jay_Wilson
Level 3
Yep....

We must have had the same support tech. They told us exactly the same thing. I am downloading MSDPM now. If it works I will be phasing all BE products out of my network. I can't justify keeping a product that does not work and whose support team is inept and apathetic.

So long Backup Exec!! It was good while it worked.

JEAN-CHRISTOP1
Level 3
I had the same problem.
I'm using special service account with Backup Exec, and the problem has been solved when i granted the service account as an Organizational Exchange Administrator in addition of the Server Administrator (with exchange admin tools).

In the Backup Exec admin doc it is indicates to put the backup account as a server Exchange administrator..but it seems that it is not enough, u also have to put it as Organizational Exchange Administrator.

Jean-Christophe Quirin