cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange bacup -1022 There is a disk IO error

mas814
Level 3

I've been trying to get this backup to work correctly the for the last week, and I have not been able to find out the issue.

I am doing a full exchange backup to a NAS device (Buffalo TeraSatation)

I am backing up the information stores on the server and I am getting this error message on the one storage group

V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-1022 There is a disk IO error. '

In the exchange settings

Use GRT is checked

Perform consistency check is checked

Contiune with backup if consisteny check fails is checked

The high availabilty is set to back up from the active copy only (job fails if not available)

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3

I have service pack 2 installed as well

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mas814
Level 3

I just tried an other GRT back up, and now it worked.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently was I rebooted the backup exec server, or maybe it was beacuse I did a successful full backup.

Thank you everyone for your help

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Please check the link

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53031

Ensure BE 2010 r3 is updated with patches after sp2 & ensure remote agent is upto date too on exchange server

Ensure on your exchange server when backup is going there is no maintainence scheduled to run for exchange database at same time if that is the case please change it.

Thanks

Riyaj_S

Try backing up Exchange to local disk on media server (by creating a test B2D).

Also try running B2D test tool on the NAS box : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107

Try running non-GRT Exchange job to NAS box.

Hope this helps.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is that NAS capable of iSCSI? If so, and it's simply being used for backups, consider creating iSCSI LUNs and presenting them to the backup server. This will get around any permission errors you might be experiencing when connecting to the NAS.

Thanks!

mas814
Level 3

Thank you,

I am going to do a full backup with GRT.  I didn't think it was a problem with the NAS device I was more looking at the exchange server.

It does make sense on what I a reading now.

I just ran liveup date I think I did it when I started having these problems, and I double checked the client on the exchange server to make sure everything syncs up.

I didn't get to try much in the link since I'd need to reboot the server, but when the chance comes around I can try.

The device is not capiable of ISCSI too bad... 

I'm reading a bit more into the unit and the file system is XFS and the device does show up on the HCL (I think) it has an annotation that states supported with the BE 3600 applicance.  Not sure what exactally that means. 

I have some things I can probabally look at I'll let you know how the backup without GRT works

mas814
Level 3

Just to let everyone know the backup without GRT worked.  So I am assuming it has to do with GRT.

I'll look more into what i can do

Riyaj_S

Running B2D test tool will verify the capbility of the NAS box for running GRT backup jobs.

Try running B2D test tool on the NAS box : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107

Hope this helps.

mas814
Level 3

I ran the tool.

I am getting errors with the Sparse files and the Reparse points...

I had issues with this before. I'm not sure what I did at this point.  I thought I was using GRT to this device before.  I just wiped the whole device, and redid all my backup jobs reacently.

I would assume this is more of an issue with the Buffalo device.  What files/directories is the GRT trying to access that it is having issues?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...matter of interest...do you get the same error when backing up to a B2D locally on the server?

Are you able to direct-connect the NAS to the server and try the backup again?

mas814
Level 3

I can try that it would be a bit tricky. Our info store is pretty large, and we have about 200GB of space free on the Backup Exec folder.  I can try that over the weekened

I think the device only supports ethernet so there is no really good way to connect directly. The HCL states the connectivity is CIFS. Curious question. Then the options the GRT staging area is located at c:\temp that is on the Backup Exec Server correct? I ran the B2D tool on C:\temp and it passed, but is there a space limit? there is only about 20 GB of free space on the c:\ drive.

mas814
Level 3

I just tried an other GRT back up, and now it worked.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently was I rebooted the backup exec server, or maybe it was beacuse I did a successful full backup.

Thank you everyone for your help