cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange differential backup - no emails is this correct?

shabbaranks
Level 4

Hi,

We're using backup exec 2012 and mon - thurs we do a differential backup on exchange with GRT. I am sure that in BE 2010 R3 this backup allowed us to restore individual emails to mail boxes rather than having to do a full backup each time. Now when I attempt a restore based on a differential backup I drill down to first storage group and its empty - any ideas why this is?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi there as far as I know with BE 2010 there was no way if doing grt backup for differentials, you could only perform grt backup with full and incremental that to if the backup was on disk and configired using policy Talking about BE 2012 ,have you checked if you can see grt view for incremental backup performed, and I presume your backup are going to disk and not to tape Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

....there seems to be no mention of this in the BE 2012 Admin GUide...it mentions nothing about DIFF backups not allowing you to use GRT backups in conjunction with it.

Please post a screenshot of your issue. Also make sure that AOFO isn't in use when doing your backups.

shabbaranks
Level 4

I had AOFO enabled, and have since unchecked it. I will see if this makes a difference to the backup situation. The issue I was reffering to was

shabbaranks
Level 4

After turning off AOFO I still have the same issue - the backup was sucessful and GRT is turned on yet when I browse the storage groups they are empty???

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Were is the backup going on tape or disk? because backup must be on disk & not on tape

Thanks

CraigV

...Symantec recommend (note, not TELL or FORCE) that you do GRT backups to disk...this isn't always possible, or needed.

You can't tell someone their backups need to go to s specific device!

shabbaranks
Level 4

The backups are going to disk

CraigV

...not to sound stupid, but in the picture you posted, it looks like you clicked the selection above what you selected.

Did you perhaps upgrade to BE 2012 from a previous version, or is this a new installation? Have you tried to recreate the job to see if this fixes it?

shabbaranks
Level 4

The reason the previous image shows the selection different is because its from an edited job - unfortunatly the problem still persists - I have taken a fresh image to show. It must be to do with the fact the backup job is differential as yes we are using BE2012 and so the jobs are all based on the same policy\settings its just the fact its a differential rather than a full. Thats kinda why in my original question I asked if this was by design as it dosnt really make sense why its not working.

The job is a newly created job as I re-created all jobs when we moved to 2012, but yes I upgraded to 2012 rather than a fresh install.