cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange mail job restores only subject line (without content body) for exchange DBs larger than 50 GB

ShellyTK
Level 3

I have upgraded from Backup Exec 12.5 SP4 to Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP1 (which is installed on a media server Windows 2003 SP1). I am able to backup all the exchange DBs (with GRT enabled) without any problem

Whenever I restore mails from exchange DBs larger than 50 GB, job restores only subject lines without any content body (for all mails). However, it restores everything properly if restore is small DBs.

Thanks in advance

Shelly

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Shelly,

When restoring from tape with GRT enabled in the job, it temporarily stages the backup to C:\Temp. You need the same amount of free space on that disk as your Information Store is big.

You can change this location from Tools --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange to a location with enough disk space free. Once done, try the restore again.

I also assume that you push-installed the agents out to any remote servers again?

Thanks!

ShellyTK
Level 3

Hi,

There is enough disk space on the selected drive and the restore job can finish the staging properly as well. The mail server is having the latest agents pushed and is in sync with media server.

It seems the problem is to do with the setting on the mail server. I have tried backup/restore using another media server with BE 2010 connected to HP D2D4324 box. However the restore job finished without restoring content body or attachmnents (for exchange DBs more than 50 GB size). It can restore from smaller DBs without any problems. This test leave only two things in common, ie Software BE 2010 R3 and Mail server Exchange 2007 SP1)

Shelly.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you check if there are mailboxlimit enabled ?

Any messages in the evenlog on the BE & Exchange server at the time of the restore ?

Are you restoring a backup created with BE 12.5 or BE 2010 ?

ShellyTK
Level 3

Hi,

Sorry, I was out of the office for one week

There is no mailbox limit, there is no helpfull messages in the eventlog as well. I can move the subject mailbox into another exchange DB and restore from it. The problems is to do with few exchange DBs whose size is more than 50 GB. (I don't see any other common factor). I am restoring from newly taken backup using BE 2010 R3

Thanks in advance

Shelly

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We have seen things like that in the past although  I believe there was usually a message of some kind in the job log as well as restoring the  messages with just subject lines.

i.e.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124598

and

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50833

As both of thsoe should be resolved with the version and update levels you are on and we don;t seem to have any other reports with similar information, I think we may need a formal support case so we can sort out debugging and analyze your environment in order to identify the problem.