Exclude last day of month from existing Backup jobs

Jon_Langford
Level 3
Partner
Hi there,

We have 2 backup jobs currently in our schedule with a GFS rotation:

Mon-Thurs - Incremental
Fri - Full Backup

It has come to my attention that when we use tapes for the Month End backup (there is currently no specific job for this), should it fall on a day that runs the Incremental backup we only backup file changes on that day and not a full snapshot of the server.

I have created a new Month End backup job (using the schedule selection Day of the Month, "last") but I now want to exclude the other two jobs from running on the month end day.

Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to Exclude each end of month day?

I'd rather not do an Exclude for each month end day as at some point I will not have completed every exclude day and therefore all jobs will try and run at the same time.

I hope you can help.

Many thanks

Jon
2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
This sounds like a policy would suit you, assuming all jobs have the same selection list.
Three templates - one for Fulls on a Friday; one for incrementals Monday - Thursday; one for fulls on the last day of the month.
Add a rule which says that if the start times coincide, the monthly full takes place.

Jon_Langford
Level 3
Partner
Thanks Hywel, I appreciate the time you took to reply.

I have since decided that we will use the last Friday of the month as our Month End tape, as the Full backup takes significantly longer than the Incremental and it will most likely impact other jobs..

Many thanks though... :)