cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiration dates pass but the backup sets remain.

mikejfcurtis
Level 2

Not understanding the Expiration date. I have a 8TB disk to back up to and just under 2TB of data to backup, yet I am out of space. Some of the backup sets have expiration dates that passed a month ago, yet they are still using up storage space. At what point are these expired Backup Sets taken off of my backup disk?

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are these backup sets dependent upon other sets ?

Verbatim from admin guide -

For example, you can specify to keep the backup sets from a full backup for two weeks. After two weeks, the backup sets expire and Backup Exec can reclaim that disk space. If you later create an incremental backup, Backup Exec keeps the full backup sets for two weeks, plus the amount of time that it keeps the incremental backup sets. If you keep the incremental backup sets for four weeks, then Backup Exec keeps the full backup sets for six weeks. The data from a full backup is kept as long as the data from its  associated incremental backups. Backup Exec does not expire backup sets from a job that depends on another job until the data retention expires for all of the associated jobs...

Secondly, do these backup sets have 'Retain' enabled ? Check from the Storage tab, right-click the backup sets..and see if Retain is enabled or not..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the storaget defined on your disk?  If it is Disk Storage, then it is under DLM.  Read my article to get an understanding of when backup sets are deleted under DLM.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm