cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Tape Drive added - Not recognizes

Turi_Dru
Level 3
I have BE 9.1 installed. Internal tape drive is experieincing hardware issues. Purchased a new Dell External Tape Drive. I was able to see the tape drive once but in BE but not anymore. Bottom line, I cannot get BE to recognize the external tape drive even though Windows can. I read that some Intel drivers may be the cause but I don't have the Intel drivers installed.

When i run tapeinst.exe, i get this.

Finding tape devices
Finding plug and play tape device names
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialBNCHMARKDLT1____________5032
Finding IDE plug and play device instances
Finding SCSI plug and play device instances
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialQUANTUM_DLT_VS160_______2500
Finding VERITAS device drivers
Hardware scan complete.

Followed by this:

Updating VERITAS inf file
Installing VERITAS "0dlttape.sys" for "SCSI\SequentialQUANTUM_DLT_VS160_______2500"
Driver load failure 0x800F020B for SCSI\SequentialQUANTUM_DLT_VS160_______2500
The device instance does not exist in the hardware tree.

Installation complete.

I also found these errors in the Windows Event log:

RSM - System Log - EventID 17

RSM cannot manage library Tape1. It encountered an unspecified error. This can be caused by a number of problems including, but not limited to, database corruption, failure communicating with the library, or insufficient system resources.

RSM - System Log - EventID 134

Backup Exec - App log - EventID 58052
ADAMM configuration warning.
The device driver may not be installed for device :
Identifier : QUANTUM DLT VS160 2500.
Type : TapePeripheral.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Try running tapeinst.exe, and having it remove any Veritas drivers.
Ensure you have Sp4a installed and reboot.

Install your Dell OEM drivers.

Forget about the Veritas drivers and cycle the Veritas services so they see the new drive.

Turi_Dru
Level 3
I tried that several times. I still receive the same error. I do have a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 as well as the latest BE 9.1 SP

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technote.

(title) How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
You receive the same error?

The first error you posted is from tapeinst.exe when you tell it to install the Veritas drivers. If you are still receiving the same error, you can't be using the OEM driver.

Or do you refer only to the event log error?

Turi_Dru
Level 3
I ran tapeinst.exe. I removed the Veritas drivers and use the Plug and Play drivers as suggested in a reply to my original post. When I run tapeinst.exe again, I get the following:

Finding tape devices
Finding plug and play tape device names
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialBNCHMARKDLT1____________5032
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialQUANTUM_DLT_VS160_______2500
Finding IDE plug and play device instances
Finding SCSI plug and play device instances
Finding VERITAS device drivers
Hardware scan complete.
Uninstalling VERITAS device drivers

Once I reboot, and I open BE, I see only this Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialBNCHMARKDLT1____________5032

I DON'T see this in external tape drive in BE - Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialQUANTUM_DLT_VS160_______2500

I am trying to see both of these tape drives, one internal and one external. But I only see the internal.

Thanks

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

OK, i see more of what we are looking at now.

What you see here is that Veritas has removed its drivers. If you go to the Windows Device Manager, does the Quantum you want to use show up there?

If you go to its properties and check its driver information, does it show an OEM driver is installed?

Running tapeinst.exe the way you did removes existing Veritas drivers- it does not install the OEM ones for you.

Please go to your services menu and stop all your BE services.
Then go to your Tape Drive Manufacturer's website, and download appropriate drivers. Then install them from your device manager.

You don't need to touch tapeinst.exe at this point- it only installs the Veritas drivers which you are unconcerned by.

Once you know the drive has OEM drivers are installed, open up ntbackup and perform a test. This is the best way to ensure you have a working tape drive, and leave possible Veritas issues out of it.

Finally, start Veritas services, and see if the drive is detected. If it is not, run the "Tape Drive Configuration" wizard from the wizards menu.

Turi_Dru
Level 3
Just a thought. But, if Windows 2000 Server recognizes the external tape drive properly but BE 9.1 doesen't, can it theoretically an issue with the terminator at the back of the tape unti?

I just tried to run a Firmware update (DFU) from Dell and got this error.

Task Result: 3 Subtest Status UNUSUAL.
Task Err Code: 53 Error during Firmware Update write buffer command.
Please check cabling and termination and make sure the device is usable.

The cable is fine, Windows recognizes the unit. It just does not show up in BE 9.1.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
I would generally suggest that if the drive works in ntbackup, then it's a Veritas problem.

If however you are unable to perform a firmware upgrade, there is probably a connecivity issue.

After you have checked termination, check also that the two tape drives are not on the same SCSI ID.

Turi_Dru
Level 3
I just checked DFU and noticed that DFU (Drive FirmWare update) did not recognize the tape unit.

The only tape unti recognized is the internal VS80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dev# : Product ID : Bus : Port : ID : Lun : Firmware Rev : Serial Number
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
001 : VS80 : 000 : 0004 : 06 : 000 : 5032 : PHD2H08801

the VS160 was not even recognized. Yet, Windows Server (Device Mgr) sees it and it is using Quantum Drivers.

The server in questions is a Dell and the SCSI card it isusing is the PERC controller card.

What I don't understand is that at one point, BE 9.1 did see it.

Turi_Dru
Level 3
I have since removed the external tape drive and will try this elsewhere.