cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Tape Drive not recognised

Alun_Roberts
Not applicable
We have a LaCie AIT2 USB / Firewire external tape drive. The drive is based on the Sony SDX 520V AIT2 drive.
Operating System is Windows SBS 2003 SP1.
Windows recognises the drive as an external Sony Tape Drive and offers the option to use it for backup.

Veritas Backup Exec 10 for Small Business Server does not detect the drive at all, even using the removeable tape utility.

The drive is listed as compatible with Veritas on the Lacie website.

Is there any way i can get the drive recognised by Veritas software? If not, I presume if I strip the AIT bit out of the external case and mount it internally then Veritas will recognise it? I do not want to risk destroying the drive if it still is not recognised.

The drive works perfectly on a Win XP box with DANTZ Retrospect backup software but this will not back up all elements (e.g. Exchange) of the Small Business Server.
1 REPLY 1

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Alun,

If the O.S does not detect the drive at ALL, Backup Exec will not detect the drive either.

You may contact Microsoft in that case.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.