cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract Data from Non-BackupExec Tape

jrosenbaum
Level 3

Okay, so I was given LTO3 tapes from a non-backupexec library and I have been asked to pull the data off of those tapes.  Access to the library these came from is not possible.  Is it possible to have backup exec pull the data off of these tapes even though they weren't used in Backup Exec?  

The tapes were backed up on a Mac server using FlashNet.  The BackupExec 2012 Server is on Windows Server 2008.  I don't think this is possible, but would like some confirmation.  Thank you.

- Jesse

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If FlashNet writes to tape using MTF then it might be possible to read it with BE. However as MAC OS tends to be based on Linux it is unlikely as typically Linix systems use a TAR format which BE cannot read.

If it can be read then an inventory and catalog job in Backup Exec will confirm it.

BTW recommended practice when you need to restore from a tape is slide the physical write protect tab across on the tape cartridge itself. Then if you leave it in a drive by accident it can't be overwritten by a backup process. As such if testing reading this tape with BE I'd suggest doing the same thing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

If FlashNet writes to tape using MTF then it might be possible to read it with BE. However as MAC OS tends to be based on Linux it is unlikely as typically Linix systems use a TAR format which BE cannot read.

If it can be read then an inventory and catalog job in Backup Exec will confirm it.

BTW recommended practice when you need to restore from a tape is slide the physical write protect tab across on the tape cartridge itself. Then if you leave it in a drive by accident it can't be overwritten by a backup process. As such if testing reading this tape with BE I'd suggest doing the same thing.

jrosenbaum
Level 3

Colin, thanks for the reply.  I am cataloging the tape now.  Once cataloged how will I know if it can read the tape's data or not?  Thank you.

-Jesse

Colin_Weaver

Well if it cannot catalog the media I would expect the catalog job log to report some kind of warning or error

If no warning or error in the job log for the catalog operation, then the Backup and Restore screen should show a server object relating to the name of the server that was backed up and then allow you to start the creation of a restore job from that object.