cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fail to restore of the Domain Controller (Windows 2000)

Alex_Tetyukhin
Level 4
hi,

I am trying to restore System State of the Domain Controller (Windows 2000) to another server.
I get the following error:

Final error: 0xe000846a - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.
Final error category: Resource Errors

The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine stem State. The machine could not be found on the network.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to attach to System State.
V-79-57344-33898 - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

What's matter? The server is not in domain, ADMIN$ share is opened. And I can backup and restore the own System State of the server. But I can not restore the System State from other server...
7 REPLIES 7

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You can't restore the system state to another server, especially a different server name - which sounds like what you are doing.

If you just want to test restore the System State - to make sure it does actually restore - you can do a File Re-direction to a Folder.

Alex_Tetyukhin
Level 4
I have to simulate client's environment so there is a System State of client's Domain controller and I want to restore it on my server. My server has "clear" operating system installed and has the same name as original server. Imagine that I want to do disaster recovery of domain controller. I follow procedure described in the BE 10 administrator's guide (page 619): manually recover remote Windows 2000 computer, but it is failed...

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
It is not possible to restore to a computer with a different hardware configuration.

If you have different hardware configuration and if you are trying to restore the system state, it could lead to system instability.( IDR can be used to restore a server, only in case if the hardware of the NEW server is same as that of the old server. IDR is not an migration utility which you can used to migrate from one type of a server to the other. You can perform recovery of the server whose ISO image has been created. The configuration of the server A has to be same as that server B. Since the configuration of the servers are different)

Microsoft does not support restoring the SYSTEM STATE from one machine to another as System state also contains Hardware specific information which should match, and it is exactly for this reason that you cannot restore, to a machine with different hardware configuration.
In that case you have to reconfigure and reinstall everything.
It is possible to restore only the data(files) on the system with different hardware.
Also please refer to the following technote :( It seems that you have referred the technote mentioned below. The points mentioned in the technote below are very ideal when it comes to restoring information of a particular computer to another ( restoring to different hardware )

Title:- Is it possible to recover a full backup to a computer with different hardware using the Intelligent Disaster Recovery option?
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191461.htm

There are specific limitations that should be known before an attempt to restore a full system backup to a computer with different hardware is attempted In addition to above information following are Microsoft Q article which might be helpful, however we do not guarantee of the steps mentioned in the article incase if problems may arise.( The following Q article are related to Windows 2000 )

a) How to move a Windows 2000 installation to different hardware ( Microsoft Q article- 249694 ) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&

b) How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of Active Directory on a computer with a different hardware configuration ( Q article- 263532 )

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263532

We hope this helps.

Alex_Tetyukhin
Level 4
Thanks for your answer, but there is some misunderstanding, in my opinion. I realize that in most cases computer with foreign System state can not successfully boot. But I can not achieve the stage when original System State is overwritten by new one.
My question is why Backup Exec can not overwrite the System state of one computer by the System state of another computer in my case? At the same time ntbackup.exe can do it locally! May be BE can not do it remotely?

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hi Alex,

As stated earlier, System state cannot be restored to another computer, it should be always restored to the original system. System State is machine specific, hence you cannot perform redirect restore of system state.
Thanks.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Supported or not, I do this regularly as part of our DR testing.

From the error, could you please check that your NIC is operational, and that
\\servername\c$
works, where servername is the same anme as the server your System State was backed up from?

Yariz
Not applicable
Hello,
I was wandering if you could help me resolve a similar issue about redirected restore of Domain comtroller.
I have installed the Backup Exec 11d software on a physical server, and I have a win2k3SP2 DC running on a GSX server VM machine. I wished to test the restore capability of the BE server, so I backed up C:, System State and Shadow Copy Components of the DC, Turned it of to prevent it being run over, and attempted redirected restore to an identical VM machine on the same GSX server (same hardware, same OS and SP) that has a remote agent installed on it, in DS restore mode.
If I assigned a different name to the test VM than the DC, the restore goes on successfuly, however when I restart the test VM, It is not the restored DC but the test VM. it would seem only the c: backup was restored without System State and shadow copy. Is the redirected restore of System State impossible under any condition?
When I rename the test VM to the same name as the DC and the same fixed IP, and do not redirect the restore it succeeds.
Is there a procedure for redirected restore of a DC to another computer with the same HW?
Is it possible to restore BE bkf files with NTBackup locally on the testing machine (I got a message saying that the target machine is unavailable when trying to restore to original location and the test VM had a different name).
If I set the "Redirect Sets" option in the restore job to "\\testVMmachine\c:\" and supply an account with administrative permissions on the target machine, will the System State restore fail, but report it succeeded?
Thanks for any replies :)