cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Backup - archive bits reset?

Matthew_Longmui
Level 3
Hi,

My query(ies) is in regards to Incremental backups.

1. It says in the admin guide that the archive bit is reset on files AFTER the backup completes (i.e. not during the backup). Is this true? Just wanted to confirm.

2. What happens if the Incremental backup fails 50% through the back up, for whatever reason - would the archive bit be reset on the 50% that was backed up successfully? Or would the archive bit not be touched because it was not a successful backup?

Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
the archive bit is being reset right after the file has been backed up, not after the job has finished.
That means, if your incremental backup crashes at 50%, the archive bit for all the files backed up (50 % off all files to be backed up) will be reset to 0 !
If you would rerun the same incremental backup, only the folders of the previously backed up 50% data would be backed up again - and of course the remaining 50% of data, as their archive bit has still not changed before.

Hope this helps

regards

uz

Matthew_Longmui
Level 3
Hi Uz,

Just to clarify, cause it looks like you contradicted yourself (or otherwise i didnt understand):

The Inc backup fails 50% through.
The first 50% backups up fine - archive bit reset to 0
The second 50% failed to backup - archive bit still set to 1

Correct?
if so:

if i run the backup the next night, it will backup the second 50% (because the bit is still set at 1) and whatever else may have changed/created that day?

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes, exact as you described !
(First 50 % set to 0 - second remain 1 - next INC backup only saves second 50 % plus newly changed files.)

Regards

uz

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

With referance to your post on Incremental backups, we believe that the answer provided by UZ satisfies your query. In case of further doubts, do write back to the forum.

However if we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.