cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to make server a Managed Media Server

JessePAIT
Level 3

I have a Backup Exec 2010R3 server running CASO.  I wanted to add some Backup Exec 12 and 12.5 servers to be managed by it so I could report off the jobs in one central console.  Is it possible to add servers to CASO that are different verisons?

When I try to add them using BEUtility > Set Central Administration Server I get 

"Failed to access the registry keys of selected server SERVERNAME to get the Backup Exec version numbers."

Job ended with errors.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JessePAIT
Level 3

It turns out that I could not add the 12.5 server to be managed by the new CASO installation because Backup Exec only supports upgrades on an existing installation of CASO, in my instance I had a brand new server with a brand new installation of Backup Exec and you can't point existing Backup Exec installations to point to a new CASO server

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

On first place recommended and best way would be having backupexec on same version on CASO and MMS ,so I will recommend you to upgrade MMS on same level as CASO & then try to join them as MMS should work fine

Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You may also refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH88089 and see if it helps.

However please see pg.1522 of the Admin Guide.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2211 - Backup Exec 2010 R2/R3 Administrator's Guide.

Symantec recommends that you do not keep a mix of versions in the CASO installation for an extended time. Key functionality for administering managed media servers is missing in a mixed-version environment, and decreases your ability to properly administer the CASO environment.

After you upgrade the central administration server to Backup Exec 2010, the following operations are supported on managed media servers that run Backup Exec 12.5:

Backup

Restore

Inventory

Catalog

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jesse,

Much like an upgraded version of BE will work 1 version back, CASO does the same. Unfortunately those versions you have are too many revieions behind, and the system has changed between versions.

Thanks!

JessePAIT
Level 3

It turns out that I could not add the 12.5 server to be managed by the new CASO installation because Backup Exec only supports upgrades on an existing installation of CASO, in my instance I had a brand new server with a brand new installation of Backup Exec and you can't point existing Backup Exec installations to point to a new CASO server