cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to perform MS SQL redirection restore

Jeff_Chong
Level 2
Hi,

I am trying to perform a MS SQL 2000 redirection restore onto any Windows 2000 advanced server, but it just keep giving me the following error. I have tried the suggestions found in the Symantec support website but the problem is still the same.

Job ended: Thursday, September 06, 2007 at 10:42:56 AM
       Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
        Final error category: Resource Errors

Please help.

Regards,
Jeff Chong
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Jeff,

Is SQL running on the server you are trying to redirect the restore to?

Is the remote agent installed on the target machine?  If so, can you telnet to port 10000 on the target to verify we can connect to it? (telnet servername 10000)

Anny_Huang
Not applicable

Hi,

I have met with the same problem although we use Backup Exec 9.1.

And I have checked all the settings you mentioned above(install SQL,remote agent on the redirection restore  target server; telnet to port 10000 on the target...),every thing is ready.But unfortunately, I still have the same problem...

Please help! Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Anny, Huang

Message Edited by Anny Huang on 09-22-2007 06:28 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
Of course BackupExec and netbackup are different but the common factor is SQL. Here is a technote that also has a link in it for further information

How to perform a NetBackup for SQL Server alternate server restore operation of a Microsoft SQL Server database file/filegroups backup
'http://support.veritas.com/docs/272820

Details:
SQL Server database filegroups/file alternate host restore is a supported operation provided that the database name, filegroups, and file paths (drive D:\MSSQL\data backup must be restored to drive D:\MSSQL\data) are the same between hosts. Also, backups of the transaction logs (if available) with the same time-frame as the file/filegroup backup should also be selected for restore.

Here is the procedure on how to perform the restore operation of a SQL database file backup to an alternate server:

1. Using VERITAS NetBackup (tm) for SQL Server, create a database backup of the existing SQL database from the source SQL server

2. From the alternate server, using Enterprise Manager, detach the database if the database name to restore already exists

3. From the alternate SQL Server, using the NetBackup for SQL Server GUI, create a move script and restore the database backup from step 1 to the alternate SQL server, to the same database name and the same file/filegroup path

4. From the alternate SQL server, using the NetBackup for SQL Server GUI, create a regular restore script and restore the file/filegroup backup to the same database name, selecting the "not recovered" option. If necessary, restore the transaction log backup and then set the recovery to "recovered."

For more information about the Microsoft requirements for this operation, please see  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281122/EN-US

Related Documents:

273567: DOCUMENTATION: Performing a Database Move to the same SQLHOST or to an alternate HOST
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/273567