cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to connect Backup Exec to Data domain (storage)

hystad
Level 4

Hey!

Im trying to install a new Backup Exec 2012 Server, but i fail to use our Data domain storage system with my Backup Exec server.

Info
Backup Exec server is in domain. 

Data domain storage device non domain.

Ive got to the point ive added the storage device in backup exec as a disk based storage. But the disk goes offline. and backup exec cant do a backup to that location. 

Ive mapped the storage as a local network drive. 

Do anyone have a sollution? So the storage device stop going offline.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hystad
Level 4

The problem was the dns, data domain storage had a diffrent dns alias, so i lost connection all the time, when i changed alias, it worked perfectly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...mapped drives won't work with BE. You'd need to add a CIFS share within BE to \\IP_Address\Share for this to work properly.

Thanks!

EDIT: The link below might be of some use...give it a read (do a search for Backup Exec):

http://www.scribd.com/flatfours/d/52417293/32-Configuring-the-Data-Domain-System

hystad
Level 4

Yeah, Ive made a cifs share. and connected to the share through \\ip\share.

Thanks.

hystad
Level 4

I want to add the DD share as a disk-based storage. and it dont dosent work. I get the storage up. But it wont write. Im connecting to the storage with \\ip\share

CraigV

...browse to that share within Windows and try create a file there. If it works, the problem lies with BE.

If it also fails, the issue lies with permissions on your share, so check that out from a DD perspective!

teiva-boy
Level 6

You should enable LDAP on the DD, and match permissions that way.

Or ensure your service account credentials match 100% if you are not going to enable LDAP

Also make sure you are on DDOS5.1.  The 5.1 build is a HUGE almost necessary update.

hystad
Level 4

I can browse the share and create files. but Backup Exec isnt able to write to it. 

hystad
Level 4

What happens if i activate Cifs authentication through AD? What happends to the local users on DD?

CraigV

...it's probably going to delete them. I did this on an Iomega NAS and this is exactly what happened...no further need for local users.

Best to check the EMC forums around this too...

PCmannen
Level 3

CIFS configuration doesn't do anything with the current users you have on the Data Domain

Be sure to upgrade the system to atleast 5.1 (current 5.1.1.0)

Configure CIFS authentication using setup config command or on WEB gui. If you have problems accessing the share check the Share Clients settings. Does it only allow specific clients?

hystad
Level 4

Hmm, i already have an older backup exec and a TDS Disaster going towards the dd storage. Can complicate some things if i change. Guess ill have to do it in a weekend.

PCmannen
Level 3

I've only seen a overview of the Tomato Disaster Solution and I'm not sure how it is implemented, but I think you should look into the Share Clients setting.

By running command: cifs show clients you will list up all the servers that can connect to the share(s). See if the config limits what type of servers that can connect to the shares.

hystad
Level 4

Looks like other older servers manage to contact the Data domain, but what happen to the existing  connections if i change the auth to ldap from workgroup

CraigV

...this is a question for the EMC forums...

hystad
Level 4

Yeah, ill go over there and ask. Thanks anyways

hystad
Level 4

The problem was the dns, data domain storage had a diffrent dns alias, so i lost connection all the time, when i changed alias, it worked perfectly.