cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files in Dedup disk folder older than retention period

Oldskoolskater
Level 3

Hi All

Running BE 2012 SP3, I've noticed that we have the Dedup retention period set to 2 days but when I look at the dedup data folder on the server I can see some files that are much older than 2 days (though the majority do fall within this period).

Any idea why this might be? - I've found the reclaim space TN which I may have to follow but am not sure whether it would help me in this instance.

cheers

Oldskoolskater

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unlike other B2D folders, the files in the dedup folder are containers.  The contents may or may not change when you do backups because when you back up to the dedup folder and there is a similiar chunk of data in the dedup folder, that data chunk is not stored but a pointer is created to reference the chunk existing in the dedup folder.

When you reclaim space in the dedup folder, it is internal to the containers.  The overall size of the dedup folder may not shrink.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unlike other B2D folders, the files in the dedup folder are containers.  The contents may or may not change when you do backups because when you back up to the dedup folder and there is a similiar chunk of data in the dedup folder, that data chunk is not stored but a pointer is created to reference the chunk existing in the dedup folder.

When you reclaim space in the dedup folder, it is internal to the containers.  The overall size of the dedup folder may not shrink.