Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files open on Windows 2003 server by Mac OS X client

Dale_Anderson
Level 3
I am getting this error in the backup log:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe36 - Corrupt data encountered. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65078

Backup- E:
WARNING: "E:\Data\filename.doc" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Verify- E:
WARNING: "filename.doc" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

The file is question is always one that is left open on a Macintosh G5 running OS X 10.4. I have the AOFO on the file server, which is the server running Backup Exec 10.1.

Is there something else I need to do to make BE successfully backup these files?
7 REPLIES 7

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Do you use the AOFO during the backups? If not, ensure that you are using this option in order to avoid the 'corrupt data' error message. Refer to the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258696

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Dale_Anderson
Level 3
The AOFO is installed and turned on and I've also made the change as indicated in the technote you referenced. No change in the behavior of Backup Exec. If a Word or Excel document is left open on a Mac OS X machine, then I get the error.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Dale- you're not crazy, I have seen this happen with MAC users too. It happens very infrequently in our environment- so never any time to troubleshoot. I assume the MAC users must access CIFS shares differently than Windows users, and somehow bypasses the OFO, or never produces enough quiet time for the file. - I dunno.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Dale,

Does the problem still persist? Do update us.If it does, also check if there are any errors in the event logs. Is it only the Mac files that indicate the error? Try some test jobs after excluding those files from the backup.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Dale_Anderson
Level 3
Hello,

The error still occurs. I just remind our single Mac user to close any Word and Excel documents each day before he leaves.

Only the files open on the Mac have ever given this error. It's inconvenient, but probably not worth spending more troubleshooting time on.

You can mark this question as unanswered and closed.

- Dale

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Did you try a test jobs after excluding those files from the backup?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dale_Anderson
Level 3
It turned out to be a combination of user error and an interface change between version 8 and 10. I had the AOFO turned on for the program (Tools -> Options) , but not for the specific jobs (Job Properties). Once I activated AOFO for each job, the files open by the Mac client were backed up successfully.