cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Backup failing consistently

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3
I do a Full Friday backup and a M-T incremental backup every week.  The incrementals are working fine, the Friday Fulls are failing consistently, I have to manually cancel the Friday backup on Monday morning.
See attached diagnostic file
12.0 SP4 installed
10 REPLIES 10

teiva-boy
Level 6
What are the errors in your job monitor logs?  Specifically to the Full.

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3
Thanks for the tip about the portal!  I opened one up.

Here is the job log:

Job name            : Friday -Full Backup
Job type            : Backup
Job status          : Failed
Job log             : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_FILE-SERVER_01283.xml
Server name         : FILE-SERVER
Selection list name : NIghtly Backup
Device name         : 
Target name         : All Devices (FILE-SERVER)
Media set name      : Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite
Error category    : Job Errors
Error             : e0008821 - Job was recovered as a result of Backup Exec RPC service starting.  No user action is required.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34849
ob Summary Information
				Byte count          : 0 bytes
Job rate            : 0.00 MB/Min (Byte count of all backup sets divided by Elapsed time for all backup sets)
				Files               : 0
Directories         : 0
Skipped files       : 0
Corrupt files       : 0
Files in use        : 0
				Original start time : Friday, July 23, 2010 11:00:00 PM
Job started         : Friday, July 30, 2010 11:00:05 PM
Job ended           : Tuesday, August 03, 2010 3:16:33 AM
Elapsed time        : 76:16:28

Job Completion Status
				Job ended: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 at 3:16:33 AM
Job completion status: Canceled by service shutdown
				The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped.
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008821 - Job was recovered as a result of Backup Exec RPC service starting.  No user action is required.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34849

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
combining

Device name : Target name : All Devices (FILE-SERVER) Media set name : Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite
and

The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped.

Looks like the job was looking for overwriteable media and couldn't find any

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

As Ken suggested make sure you have overwritable media .
The media set assigned to the backup Is Keep data infinitely do not allow overwrite---this will not allow the bckup job to overwrite.. So the better option would be to configure a media set which proper overwrite protection period and append period so the media rotates automatically ,so that you dont run into a situvation where in your disk or tape gets full .
Have look on the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265
this will help you understand how media mangement works .

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

FYI-  If want some of the media to be overwritten , you can simply move the media to the Scratch media set and re-runt he job .

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3

These are RDX removable cartridges.  As far as I can see, all are set to overwrite when full.  I don't understand why only the Friday carts don't overwrite.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do the daily and weekly jobs use the same media set?

What is the OPP of the media set used by the Friday job.   It this job finishes after mid-night, try setting the OPP for that media set down by one day (ie 6 rather than 7 or 13 rather than 14

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3

All use the same media set.  The Friday is a full backup, starting at 11pm, so I imagine it goes after 12am.
What do you mean by OPP?  Where is this setting?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
OPP = Overwrite Protect Period.  The period during which BackupExec will not overwrite media in this medai set.   Used with APP (Append Protect Period) to manage how your media  are used

media tab, right click the media set/Properties

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3
OK:

OPP= 0 Hours
APP= Infinite, Allow Append