cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Data From Old Backup Tapes

gymmbo
Level 3
I inherited the backup admin position and I am cleaning up some of the mess. The previous admin was recycling the demo version of BE2010 so I have a lot of valuable tapes but no database to reference from. I am looking to restore some data from one of these backup tapes. Is there a way I can catalouge these tapes to pull the data from them?

Thank you,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

If they are still in the library, just right click on them and select catalog.  After the catalog finishes, right click on the tape again and select restore.  That will take you right to the restore selections for that tape.  If you have a standalone tape drive, insert the tape, right click on the drive and select inventory after the inventory finishes right click on the tape and select catalog.  After the catalog finishes, right click on the tape again and select restore.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

1.  Open up the Windows Services applet, and stop all Backup Exec services.
2.  Rename the C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs folder to Catalogs_old, and recreate a new Catalogs folder. (or C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs folder to Catalogs_old in case you have Backup Exec 11.x, 12.x, 2010

3.  Restart the Backup Exec services.
4.  In Backup Exec, go to Tools|Options and click on the Catalog setting.
5.  Uncheck the "Use storage media-based catalogs" box.
6)  Perform an inventory of the old tapes and then catalog media.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

If they are still in the library, just right click on them and select catalog.  After the catalog finishes, right click on the tape again and select restore.  That will take you right to the restore selections for that tape.  If you have a standalone tape drive, insert the tape, right click on the drive and select inventory after the inventory finishes right click on the tape and select catalog.  After the catalog finishes, right click on the tape again and select restore.

gymmbo
Level 3

Thanks guys! I actually remembered that I needed to inventory then catalog the tapes before I could restore them (it dawned on me as I was reading the documentation... RTFM). This should do the trick.