cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Blown Exchange 2003 Restore - How to?

Jay_Ryan
Level 3
I have a test environment setup to simulate a complete Exchange Server meltdown.
My test server is of the same model that we use in production and I need to restore the entire exchange server from my backups. I have an up and working DC copied from our production environment.

I looked through some online documents like Petri that states I need to do a /disasterrecovery switch but also looked through some Backup Exec documents that were a little vague.

My question is since I just have the OS installed on the target restore server, can I do a full restore using all my full backups of the drives, system state, service state, and Information Store and it will work?

Or do I need to install exchange first? I'm so confused on this and keep getting conflicting information.

Or can someone outline exactly what I need to do in order to get my test Exchange server up and running?

Thanks,
1 REPLY 1

latham
Level 3

Jay,

General Steps for an offline DR restore of exchange databases and logs. (Environment I’ve confirmed testing on is Server 03 SP2, Exchange 03 SP2, Backup Exec 11d 7170)

1. Create your offline Active Directory environment (sounds like you have this completed)
  2. RESET (don’t delete) the computer account for the exchange server in your offline AD environment. This ensures the new target restore server has all the proper permissions and group setup to properly function in AD.
  3. Setup your target restore exchange server with the same configuration as your production exchange server. For example if you have the O/S and exchange application files on C:\, the exchange database files on D:\, and the exchange logs on E:\, you’ll need  C,D,E partitions on the target restore server with the appropriate storage to accommodate the DBs and logs.
  4. Patch your restore server O/S to the same version as production O/S.
  5. Join the target restore server to the offline AD domain under the reset account.  
  6. Run the exchange server setup with /disasterrecovery switch.
  7. I also run the SP1 and SP2 install with the /disasterrecovery switch but not sure if this is necessary.
  8. Bring your restore media in and inventory and catalog it.
  9. Run a restore per http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/235756.htm

Hope this helps.

Ryan