cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT and CPS best practices guides?

Kane
Level 3
Good morning,
I'm in the process of taking over backups for the company I just started working for. At the moment they don't use any of the advanced features of BE. It's BE 12 (11d upgraded to 12 via LiveUpdate) Win2K3 server.

Are there any Best practice guides that can help me establish an effective backup of my Exchange system?

Thank you in advance.

I just located this article, and will review it, however if anyone else has any tips or suggestions to throw my way that would be appreciated.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/298300.htm

Message Edited by Kane on 04-15-2008 10:45 AM
3 REPLIES 3

Kane
Level 3
Does anyone have any tips on this? I've read the admin guides, but want to know actual usage practices. I have CPS setup and is running the initial sync (which is brutally slow) BUT I don't have any clear idea of how to backup the B2D backups to Tape to reclaim disk space.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To move the B2D data to tape use a Duplicate Job rather than a standard COPY job.  You can use Policies to kick this off as soon as the B2D job completes

As for clearing Disk space.  Rather than deleting the files, try setting the OPP (Overwrite Protection  Period) for the media set(s) so that they can be reused.  For example, if you can fit six days worth of data on your B2D device, set OPP to 5 days (incase the backup  finishes after midnight)

Also be sure that from Tools\Options\Media Management you have selected Overwrite Protection of Partial or Full, and that "Use Overwritable media in target media set before scratch media" is selected

Even though GRT has it's own overwrite rules (ie fill the disk before any reuse) with these settings when the disk does fill up, the oldest BKF files should be reused/overwritted

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 04-23-2008 10:41 AM

Kane
Level 3
Ken, thanks. I think I have it now. Just wanted to make sure I had it right and wasn't going to messup my exchange protection.