cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT backup fails opening the Exchange Database file: '-1213 The database page size does not match the engine; ONLY on the first backup after managed folder policies are applied

rvanbaalen
Level 3

We manually trigger managed policies on a monthly basis.  When these policies are applied the Exchange database is reduces by approximately 33%.

On the FIRST backup after these policies are applies I receive the -1213 error.  We are doing GRT backups and restores and other than this, all is working well.

We are running version 12.5 with SP4.  The Exchange environment is 2007, SP3 RU2.  I am running the same version of the Exchange tools on the backup server as well as the mailbox server.

Its almost like there is some sort of timeout happening the first time after the policy is ran since the mailbox database size drops by 1/3.

Any clues on this one???

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Not sure if you saw the Symantec TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68840

Thanks!

rvanbaalen
Level 3

I saw this and both of these are part of SP4 for BE12.5. 

I did come accross something interesting however; I see where the DLL edbprov.dll (which is the VFF filter) was supposed to be updated as part of  HF35758.  It appears that it did not update; it should end in .178 after the HF as opposed to .169 in the SP4 upgrade.  The byte counts are identical however.  From what I understand about the VFF filter, it is the piece that is commnicating with ESE to build out the GRT detail. 

I am still not ruling out a timeout factor because of the 1/3 drop in database size caused by the monthly bulk purge of mailbox data.  I see where the consistency can take an hour or more on the first backup after the policy is applied; in normal circumstances (when the GRT backup works properly) the same check takes less than 5 minutes.      

I have a support call into Symantec now to see what they think, and will report back ...