cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Exception in the backup job

Ramprabhu
Level 3

Hi, 

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 where I have installed Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP3, I am backing up two virtual machines, hosted in Hyper-V 2008.

One Virtual machine is Windows 2012 Server standard and the other is windows 2008 R2

The exception I get is "Unable to collect necessary metadata to perform GRT level restore"

Any idea on why this has occured and how to solve this would be much helpful...

Thanks,

Ram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
At the moment you cannot do GRT backups with Server 2012. which is why you are getting the error message. To restore individual objects you need to backup the VM as if it is a physical machine

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
At the moment you cannot do GRT backups with Server 2012. which is why you are getting the error message. To restore individual objects you need to backup the VM as if it is a physical machine

Ramprabhu
Level 3

There is no article saying that GRT is not supported. I checked the following article

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200224

from the above article GRT is available for windows Server 2012.

1. I am not using a VHDX disk, its just a VHD disk.

2. its a normal file server

3. I am getting the same exception for windows server 2008 R2 as well, which is again a virtual machine

FYI, the following is the exception

V-79-57344-38727 - Backup Exec failed to snap virtual machine <SERVER NAME> and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.
V-79-57344-38722 - Could not find components to mount a VHD file. Please ensure that the Microsoft Virtual Server VHDMount component is installed

Hyper V components are installed

Ramprabhu
Level 3

Does anyone have chance to look into this