Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting RALUS working as a service on HP-UX 10.2

Jean_Bourget
Level 3
I have 2 problems.
1.) I have the backup exec agent installed in /etc/bkupexec/agent.be
If I launch this as root by typing ./agent.be from the bkupexec directory, it runs as supposed to. But I can't logoff root. It says programs still running. Any way around this?
2.) How do I run a program (i.e. agent.be) as a service in HP-UX? I don't have NIS. It appears I should add an entry to the /etc/services file which in my case would be:
grfs 6101/tcp #Backup Exec Agent

How can I launch this once registered with out rebooting?

I looked at the /etc directory and the only rc dirs I have are rc.config.d. I am familiar with Red Hat and I've found that the rd.<#> runlevel paradigm either doesn't apply on 10.2 or there is only one runlevel.

That being said, while I'd love to automate this on boot, My more immediate goal is to get this running as root and being able to log out root and keep it running. Currently the system won't let me log out when I have agent.be running.

Can I throw it into a shell script such as:

run=`./agent.be`
echo $run

I think that would work in bash, I haven't done much with ksh.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

With regards to your query, it seems that you are trying to install Ralus on HPUX server. Ralus is only supported by Backup Exec 10.0 and not 9.1. If you are trying to install ralus and trying to backup using Backup Exec 9.1 then it will not work.

However if you are using Backup Exec 10.0 to backup the HPUX server, it seems that you are using HPUS 10.2 version which is not supported. Please refer to the software compatibility list of Backup Exec 10.0:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264484.htm

If you are not using HPUX 10.2 then please revert back to us.

Thanks.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply