cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

riyasbasheer
Level 3
i have found that there was some latest windows patches applied to exchange server. Uninstalled the latest updates. Restart the server and rerun the back up  job. It was success.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I believe that you are getting this error on Windows Server 2003

This issue is with the VSS Writers which are not stable.

Please install the VSS rollup patch: http://://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (SP2 for Windows Server 2003 & REBOOT REQUIRED)

Make sure that there is minimul IOPS on the server in question.

Hpoe this helps !!!

riyasbasheer
Level 3
yes u r right. im getting the error only while taking the backup of exchange and AD. both are in WS 2003.  where i hav to install this patch? in both servers?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

We need to install the VSS rollup patch on Exchange and AD.

Please let me know if you are backing up Exchange 2003 or 2007?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...what you should also be made aware of is that Exchange should be backed up separately from any files that are backed up using AOFO.
If the VSS upgrade doesn't do the trick, consider creating 2 jobs to separate
That's easy enough to set up...

1. Create a selection list to backup your file and print/system state etc. Then create a job that is set to overwrite media. You can use AOFO here.
2. Create a second selection list for Exchange (add in any other databases). Create a second job that is set to append to media; set it to run straight after the job in #1, and then choose the same media sets in #1. Don't use AOFO. This way you get the best of both worlds, and it will automatically write to the same tape used in #1.

Laters!

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello Craig,

Its still not sure that if its Exchange 2003 or 2007, as Exchange 2007 will use VSS by default.

Dev_T
Level 6
Any news here ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...hence if the VSS patch doesn't work, separate the jobs and send both to the same tape...

riyasbasheer
Level 3
hai dears

thank you verymuch for the replies...we are using exchange 2007

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

If tou are backing up Exchange 2007, it will be by DEFAULT using VSS for Backups.

Please update...

Dev_T
Level 6
Any update?

riyasbasheer
Level 3

yes

riyasbasheer
Level 3
i have found that there was some latest windows patches applied to exchange server. Uninstalled the latest updates. Restart the server and rerun the back up  job. It was success.