cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost tape drive after migrating BE 9.1 to new server

Kevin_Saucier
Not applicable
I recently moved my BE 9.1 installation to a new server following the instructions in Article 260054. Everything seemed to work pretty well (with the exception that the migration process is far too manual) but I can't get the tape drives to come back online.

I have BE installed in a Dell PE 2550 server connected to a Dell/EMC AX100 SAN and a Dell PV 136T Tape Library with 3 drives. When I first started the services after the migration, BE saw the library and could see all the tapes in the different slots, but all of the drives were marked "Disabled" and I couldn't enable them. I followed another article that I found on the Veritas Support site to remove each of the drives and then allowing BE to reinstall them. I have used the tapeinst.exe program to make sure the drivers were removed and reinstalled. I used BEUtility.exe to check and repair the database. Now, with the last attempt, I have gotten 1 of the 3 drives to show up, but when I try to catalog a tape, the job just sits there and never loads the tape.

Any help would be much appreciated as my SAN is getting quite full doing all of the backups.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin M. Saucier
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can try powering down, disconnecting the library, powering up, starting BackupExec and from the Devices tab, remove devices not physically present

then power down again and reconnect. make sure that you have two LEO serials installed, and that you are current on firmware for the SCSI card, Library and tape drive, and firware for the library and drive

Then run the latest TapeInst to install Veritas drivers and then the hardware wizard

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Since Backup Exec v9.1 query has been posted to Backup Exec v.9.0 moderated forum,moving the post to Backup Exec v.9.1 moderated forum.

Thank you.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response.
Please let us know if your issue still persists and whether the above mentioned solution has helped you resolve the issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked 'assumed answered' and would be moved to 'answered questions' pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.