cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 960 Autoloader going offline with Backup Exec 12.5 SP3

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Hi,

I'm having problems with a HP 960 Autoloader, and Symantec Backup Exec.

Config;

- Windows 2003 R2 SP2 (32 bit)
- Backup Exec 12.5 SP3
- HP Storageworks 1/8 Autoloader 960 connected to the Windows Server via a HP/LSI Logic PCI-x Ultra320 SCSI Card

For the last few weeks, all the tape backups have failed, all B2D backups run fine. The tape backups all go to the HP Autoloader. The tape backups fail at various points before they get to 100Gb.

The tape backups fail with error;

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f0 - The device timed out.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34032

Application event logs show errors 33152 and 57665
System event logs show error 11

Once the backup job has failed, the autoloader and tape drives disappear from windows device manager, and I have to restart the server and autoloader to get them back.

I'm using the symantec drivers as recommended by Symantec.

I've run the HP Tape Tools, and that comes back fine, as does a 128Gb test backup via the tools.

I'm still trying to work out if its the software causing issues, or the hardware that may be faulty.

I've uninstalled SP3 for Backup Exec, and rolled it back to SP2 as there have been some posts on other forums about this.

Any more ideas on what to try next?

thanks
Martin
28 REPLIES 28

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Hi Ben,

I've got the trace bin file, I've also zipped it to about 1.5Mb.
Where/How can I upload it here?

Hi Craig, I've tried brand new tapes, tried cleaning too. I'm not getting any tape errors, just hardware offline errors

thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Eish...not cool! If the trace doesn't show up anything, I'd log the call with Symantec.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Edit your original post and down toward the bottom of the page you will see a section about file attachments.  You can attach the file there.

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Ok great. The file is zipped up and attached.

thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
So starting with Event 215367 you should notice the Check column has an E in it, that's an Error.
The Driver Result section also reports "STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR", that's the tape drive throwing an error.
All the events after that are showing "STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED", which means the SCSI BUS does not see either device anymore.

The tracer programs pulls a trace of everything going across the SCSI bus, so this is outside of Backup Exec.  I would suggest getting on the phone with HP and showing them this log and the events I documented.  They should be able to use the log to help determine where the issue is on the hardware level. 

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Hi Ben,

Great, thanks for your help.  I'll see what HP diagnose

thanks
Martin

James-RivaNET
Level 3

OK.
So now have 12.5 sp2 installed.
All symantec drivers being used.
When loaded backupexec the drive was "offline".
Turned online, then 2 mins later (no jobs no nothing running)...Offline again.
Made sure no tapes in library.
Started Tracer. put drive back online.
Waited 10 mins... still online.
Ran an inventory (no tapes in drive), whilst tracer running....and i'm getting this...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event:       706  Start:  8:59:13.143  Stop:   8:59:13.159  Duration:  0.015599
SCSI Address: 00:00:05:00
Function                                SRB_FUNCTION_EXECUTE_SCSI
SCSI Status                             SCSISTAT_CHECK_CONDITION
Sense Length                            20
Data Length                             0
Driver Result                           STATUS_SUCCESS

Raw CDB
00 00 00 00 00 00                               ......

CDB Operation                           TEST_UNIT_READY
 LUN                                    0
 Control                                0x00

Sense Data
70 00 07 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 30 00 00 00 p...........0...
94 4C 00 00                                     .L..
 Filemark                               False
 EOM                                    False
 ILI                                    False
 Sense key                              DATA_PROTECT
 ASC                                    INCOMPATIBLE_MEDIUM_INSTALLED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can it be still reporting "INCOMPATIBLE_MEDIUM_INSTALLED" when no tapes in library???....
Strange......
Any ideas?...

Thanks

james Lewis
RivaNET

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Yesterday I manage to build a new server and decided to put Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise 64Bit on (as I saw something on another forum that the 64bit o/s didn't have the same issue). I installed Backup Exec 12.5 with no updates. This server had a new SCSI card in too.

I ran 2 large backups, and each failed at ~6Gb! I then ran liveupdate a few times until it was patched up to date, and the backup job still failed with exactly the same error.

So I've now ruled out;
- SCSI Card
- Cable
- Server
- Tapes
- SP3

The autoloader never says there an issue on the front panel.

So by process of elimination - unfortunately I think its the autoloader thats at fault. Its no longer in warranty though - so it looks like we'll have to find £2500 for a new autoloader!

Martin

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Just a quick update to say that since I installed the brand new autoloader - we've had no issues with the tape backups.

I've even run liveupdate so that backupexec is fully up to date.