cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP MSL5000 tape library goes offline when inactive

Rookies
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I installed Backup Exec 12.5 on my system Windows 2003. All backup are fine before this but recently about two weeks my HP MSL5000 tape library goes offline when inactive.

Appreciate is someone who have a lot of experince out there to share what are the cause of this tape library failing. Notice that it is hardware issue but I like to know what are the prefered solution from 'backup' expert out there surprise

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To detect any hardware error, run the HP LT&T utility against the tape library/drive.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.  Also, update the firmware of the tape library and tape drive to the latest.

Make sure that the tape library appears in the Windows Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and that the tape drive has a Symantec driver.

You might also want to unplug and reseat the cable connnecting the tape library and tape drive to the machine.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you have the Removable Storage service still active and running in Windows, it can mess up BE's lock on the library. Check to see if this is so, and then stop/disable it. Restart the BE services and then try again.

Thanks!

Moe_Howard
Level 4

I recommend connecting to the library's Remote Management Interface to determine the health of the unit. The very first button on the main menu is 'Status' and can quickly help you identify if there is a problem. Simply browse to the IP addressed assigned to the tape library and you'll be prompted for the login credentials.

If you do not have the library on the network, then physically go to the unit and login to the LCD console of it and do the same as I mentioned above.

The RMI and LCD have the same functions...more or less...

Good luck!

lmosla
Level 6

in addition check out Windows Event System Logs Errors

such as:  Event ID 5.SCSI parity errors. This error can be caused by a faulty SCSI card or a faulty SCSI termination.

Event ID 7. bad blocks exist. This error can be caused by an outdated tape device driver, faulty media, or dirty read/write heads on the tape drive. To correct this error, update to the most recent Backup Exec tape device drivers, run a cleaning job, and replace the media with new media, if possible.

Event ID 9.  SCSI bus timeouts. This error usually occurs when the SCSI bus resets itself, or when the SCSI hardware does not respond quickly. To correct this error, slow down the SCSI bus and install the most recent SCSI drivers and firmware.

Event ID 11. This error indicates controller errors that are usually caused when the hardware does not function properly. To correct this error, slow down the SCSI bus and install the most recent SCSI drivers and firmware.

Event ID 15. device is not ready to be accessed. This error usually occurs when the device is malfunctioning or is configured incorrectly. This error may also occur if the incorrect drivers are loaded or the drivers are not up to date

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

LTT is more comprehensive and can pull detailed logs which is probably why this is suggested for use.

What the console and web front-end have is cut-down.

Thanks.