cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Disk Upgrade

Jeff_Travers
Level 3
We've upgraded our hard disks on our Raid 5 array to a larger capacity. I've done a full backup prior to the upgrade and wish to restore the server to it's prior state manually. I've followed the steps on P.619 of the admin manual by installing the os and recreating the partitions. When I decide to restore the system should I be aware of any special settings under the "Advanced" option? I've selected the boxes to "Restore Removable Storage" and "Overwrite Existing Hardware Configurations".
7 REPLIES 7

Jeff_Travers
Level 3
The process restored the data but failed to recreate the HKLM\Software registry entries and also failed to readd the server to the domain. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff_Travers
Level 3
The process restored the data but failed to recreate the HKLM\Software registry entries which also failed to recognize the server as being part of the domain. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Jeff,
Have you tried to restore just the active partition and system state?
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Jeff_Travers
Level 3
I did the backup and restore two separate times with the same result. I had to actually backup the system state via ntbackup and restore it separately. Why doesn't Veritas restore the sytsem state as part of it's manual restore process?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Silly question -

Did you select system state as well as the partition(s) when you did the restore?

As far as BackupExec (or any backup system for that matter) is concerned they are two different things.

Jeff_Travers
Level 3
Yes. I selected both options on both restores.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can restore user's data on the newly upgraded hardware, but not
the System State or OS configuration. As, this may vary depending upon the
hardware.
Please go through the following Microsoft's Q articles as a reference:
-
http://support.veritas.com/docs/252977
-
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191461.htm
Note: These technotes are just for reference and to let you know the facts of restoring system information and configuration to a different hardware.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.